Need a little clam advice...

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys...
Picked up my first clam at the Columbine frag swap...and I am now a clam-fan...
The clam is quite happy so far...extending well....coloring up good....and explosively growing...
BUT....
I just can't seem to make him comfortable on the sand. He slimes a bit from his foot, like he's trying to affix to the substrate.

I guess I need advice on placement/positioning. He seems to want to lay on his side...can't keep him upright.

How to your clams lay/position themselves?
And of course, the REALLY important question, where do I get MORE kick-*** clams! :)

Any tips much appreciated...

Thanks
Dave

Smokey

Cleaner Shrimp
Well, it sort of depends on what kind of clam you have. Not all clams are happy on the sand for one. Derasa clams usually like to be up on rocks. Maxima and Squamosa like the sand. Crocea clams like to have something solid to attach to, so if it seems happy where it is, find a thinner piece of rock and bury it just under the sand to give him something to attach to. That's why you see him trying to settle and also why you find him on his side.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
More clams can be found in The Coral Shop area. Mike got in some killer ones.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd;212952 said:
More clams can be found in The Coral Shop area. Mike got in some killer ones.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya Mike has about 20 of them starting at $40. Great selection. Got my first one yesterday, and seems to be loven life.

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will have to go talk to him...thanks! :)
And hey! Thanks for the good advice...I buried a flat rock under about 1/3 inch of coarse sand and set him on top...he's now well anchored and just like I want him!
Thanks again!
Dave