need advice aquascaping

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It really just depends on what you like the look of. Make sure to have lots of caves and swimming passages through the rock. Best thing is to look online and see what style you like and then do your best to match it. Reef Central has several aqua scaping threads with lots of pictures.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This article has a nice description of a few different styles...almost from a "photographers perspective" in that they go into detail about getting your eyes to move around the tank with the layout.

http://www.h2oplusomething.com/inde...72:aquascaping&catid=52:aquascaping&Itemid=64

But basically...play around with your rock until you find something you like in your tank, then make sure you have enough space in the sandbed to add additional pieces as you add coral to the tank. Also be certain that you will have sufficient flow behind your rocks if you're stacking them towards the back of the tank.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay and rock first then sand? I have 2- 5 gallon buckets of once live sifted sand. Can I reuse or should I buy new

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
I like to Google search on: "youtube 75 gallon reef". It will pull up some beautiful setups in your size, to give lots of ideas. Much better than the basic "pile of rocks" method, heh. Plug in 90 & 120 gallon too, there are cool tower & shelf structures some people have built, but obviously requires more effort. Reef putty, acrylic rods, drilling, PVC "backbones", fishing-line or zip-ties (if they're reef-safe), etc.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I always recommend people to buy new sand. You won't have any issues in the future. No telling whats in that sand... Also that's another preference -->If you like the look of putting rock first before sand then that's on you. I personally Like rock last but most people do put the sand around the rock to keep the rocks from falling and chipping your tank. I've never had it happen but it does pose a threat and will become a nightmare if a nice sized rock breaks your glass. Just something to think about. lay your rock CAREFULLY and as stable as you can. Looking forward pics of your aquascape!!
--Reefmaster

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Personally, I like the minimalist look. RC has a great thread about it with tons of pics. I can't ever find the pieces that go good together, so I drill mine and use acrylic rods and aquamend to make my structures.

Sent using Forum Runner

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Will 1/2 inch pvc work? Is it reef safe? Or are acrylic rods the way to go? I also heard something about non sylica based playground sand. What is it and where can I get it? Thanks!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pvc will work, you might need a larger bit though. Get a masonry bit and go slow. If you go too fast, you'll break the rock. Keep the hole irrigated as well.

Sent using Forum Runner

Last edited by a moderator:

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is why I'm going to start with all dry rock. That way I don't have to hurry in my scape, or do it under water. I'll probably take a couple weeks to do my scape. Good luck with yours and be sure to post pics.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pics are a definate. Will have to start a build thread soon. Water testing the system for last day or so. Will drain and start aqua scaping this weekend I hope. Should I boil the rock I'm drying out? I washed out all in fresh water and it has been drying since tuesday.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That would probably be southdown sand. It's carribean based sand, some people might have some laying around that they might sell. I have it in my aquarium, and I like the way it looks. Good luck with your build.:eek:range:

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
hurrafreak;187319 said:
Id look up Scott Fellmans aquascapes, he's the man when it comes to that.
Cool stuff:
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/03/14/...wdown-lessons-learned-victory-road-travelled/

Rock walls:
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/01/aquascape-reef-live-rock-wall/

If xjmav-Austin or anyone is interested in rock wall stuff, I was chatting with a dude that is doing a killer one, with snaking circulation tubes embedded behind and through it. He sent me a link to his pics and said it was ok to share it here.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you google "aesthetics of aquascaping paul whitby", you'll see 3 awesome Reef Magazine articles on aquascaping principles.

Wow, southdown play sand, do they sell it out here? I know it was big in the hobby 15 years ago, when I did my last build, but that it was only available at Home Depot on the east coast. I bought some when I lived in Boston. $3 per 50 lb bag, can't beat that!

Where did you get your rock, and was it live (or wet) when you got it? Should be fine to use by now if it is dry and doesn't smell bad or have dead stuff on it. Otherwise you should rewash it in bleach for 24 hours (fresh water plus added bleach, put powerhead in and let it sit overnight), then wash off good and redry.

You could also acid wash it, which some of the guys in the club have done (including me). That is a sure way to make sure it won't cause any problems for you.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My live rock came from offthedeepend. It was from his tank. It was semi wet when I picked it up last saturday. Been drying out since then.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
if it was used y recently and kept it wet/dry, it will probably have some die off for awhile that could mess up your cycle and make it take a long time before you are ready to stock. or worse, caue ongoing problems. you could either throw it in your tank nowand deal with that, or bleach wash it and let it dry off completely then use it (which would elp reduce the cycle impact). If it were my rock, i would acid wash it. that will make sure it has no bad impact, organic or phosphate release etc. May as well start the system so you have the least amount of possible problems down the road.

wow, Juan, you know that guy?d

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think as long as you totally let it dry out and then give it a rinse before it goes into the tank you'd be fine. But that's just my opinion.

Yes, Paul puts on CRASE every year, though I don't think it's happening this year?