need advice aquascaping

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
xjmav;188315 said:
Great links finally got a chance to check them out!!
Yeah, looking at stuff like that makes you want to put extra effort to build something really cool from the start. Sure it means it takes longer before you can start adding livestock, but the payoff is worth it.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cdrewferd traded me a bunch of rock the other day. I'm super exited to start into this project, just waiting on a few fresh pieces of live rock to dry completely and then finding putty. Well post pics when it all starts happening. Anyone have any extra rock putty or mortar lying around?

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Drew and I were/are going split some mortar from marcos rocks but their out of the 5 lb and 10lb is a little much ha ha. Do you recommend the putty ot mortar?

Chuzzler

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used PVC toilet flanges and aquarium putty to build my structures in my 34g (pic on my avatar). The toilet flange is a nice thin PVC rod so don't have to use too large of a masonry bit to drill the rock. Bought some dry rock from Marcos to take my time to build the back structure, then filled in the front, lower structures with live rock. I cut a piece of cardboard the same dimensions as my tank, and tried out different rock structures before drilling, connecting with flanges, and placing in the tank. This allowed me to avoid any possible unsecured rocks from falling against the glass.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
I guess I'm not thinking of the correct "toilet flange". Do you have a pic or links to these PVC rods?

Also, do you have pics of your tank & structures? Would love to check it out!

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a bunch of mortar from marco rock that I don't think I'm using. My scape is pretty much done for now I think. Shoot me a PM if you want.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dang, had I known that Erika I would have bought that when I picked up the skimmer. Oh well, maybe he won't use all of it and I can use some too.

Chuzzler

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghosty;189045 said:
I guess I'm not thinking of the correct "toilet flange". Do you have a pic or links to these PVC rods?

Also, do you have pics of your tank & structures? Would love to check it out!
I guess Toilet flange was not the correct term, it is a connector piece sold where they have the flanges at HD, here is a link:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Id=-1&keyword=brasscraft+toilet&storeId=10051

Also a few pics of my structure, one when I first built it, and one after a few months and some additions, and the last one 11 months in:
[attachment=62393:name]

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Nice! Thanks for the clarification. Great looking tank, love the scaping!

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member