1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice/Poll- cleaner wrasse or 12’ derasa clam

Discussion in 'Fish' started by JoshHill83, Oct 27, 2017.

?

Which would you keep

1. Cleaner wrasse - healthy fish are better

10.0%
  2. Clam you idiot, that thing is huge!

90.0%
  1. JoshHill83

JoshHill83 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

I have a bit of a dilemma here. I have a 12” derasa clam that I aquired a few months back and recently put it in my display. It was doing great until my cleaner wrasse decided its mantle was delicious. I’m thinking I will need to get rid of one, but would like to know what others out there think. This cleaner wrasse actually eats PE Mysis and NLS pellets. I have quite a few tangs that he cleans regularly.

Which would you keep? The cleaner wrasse or the clam.

2. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Get rid of the wrasse. Not often do you come across a clam that big. But just imagine what it does for the look in your display

3. BrianH

BrianH Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Is that the clam jagermeister was selling? That thing was awesome, keep the clam and ditch the fish!

4. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Keep the cleaner. Finding one that is healthy and eats pellets is tough!

5. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

I voted clam, I think a clam that size in home aquaria is a lot more rare.... And a big statement piece. If it was Jagermiester's, that was a nice one!

6. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

If your fish are healthy what is the wrasse really doing. I was in the same spot a while back and wish I had gotten rid of the wrasse. While it was eating pellets and frozen it still wasted away after a year.

7. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

This post seriously gave me nightmares last night! I had a dream that my Foxface Lo was eating my SPS like it was corn on the cob, and just going from colony to colony! In my dream he cleared the whole tank in like 5 minutes, and I couldn't find a net or anything to stop him!! I think the story of the wrasse nipping the clam triggered this nightmare. When I woke up I checked the tank and all SPS is fine, Foxface is ignoring it....lol

8. SantaMonicaHelp

SantaMonicaHelp Copepod

I think clams are always neat to have, so I'm gonna have to vote for that one. Do you have a picture of it, by any chance?

-Kamran

9. MuralReef

What did you decide to do?

10. JoshHill83

I’m going to go with the clam... if I can get the wrasse out. My 2 liter soda bottle trap isn’t working. If anyone want to come catch him they can have him

11. JoshHill83

Some pics of the clam

12. JoshHill83

If I can figure out how...

13. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Images need to be under 3500px x 3500px. If it loading to 100% but not finishing then the image is likely to big and needs to be downsized a bit.

14. JoshHill83

Maybe this time...

Attached Files:

SynDen likes this.
  15. MuralReef

Clam is way better than a cleaner wrasse!

16. JoshHill83

E0E8B653-BDEF-45DD-877A-B8F6D7769A2C.jpeg Finally got the clams back in my main display. Also added some addition T5 lighting to my current set-up to help with growth.

Attached Files:

17. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Looks great. The tank looks loaded up on snails!

18. BrianH

BrianH Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Great looking tank!