Need advice to fill the gaps

Hey everyone, first off i just want to thank everyone on here for the amazing amounts of information and knowledge you are willing to share. I am just starting my FIRST ever saltwater tank and would really like to have a fish and reef tank. I fully understand that patience is a virtue and am willing to wait for the good things to come. I already have a 55g acrylic tank and stand as well as a sump tank and was graciously given about 50lbs of live rock. I need some advice as to pumps / skimmers as well as salt, sand and filtration suggestions or information. Please keep in mind I am determined to have reef but other than that I need to know what I need equipment-wise to at least get this tank started / up and running. Should I cure the live rock in the aquarium with salt? What type of skimmer and pump and filters should I be looking for? Is there any additives I should consider of should I be letting nature take it's course? View attachment 7751 View attachment 7752

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If I were you I'd get a pump with about 800 to 1200gph at 4' head height to pump from your sump to display. A mag12 would be ideal, but just look for a name brand pump and that will be ok. I'd then get the system running and put the rock in it. I use redsea coral pro salt, but there is kent, instant ocean, salinity, and several other brands of salt that people here use and do well with. Once running, post up and ask for some seed sand and/or rock. This will get some living bacteria into your tank to start the biological processes. Then you play the waiting game of the cycle, which can take up to 6 weeks or so... During that time we can instruct you on skimmers, lights, power heads, and other items you'll need and want!

much appreciated Blazinjack, that was exactly what I was looking for. Will start my search for a pump and some salt and let the waiting game begin :)

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Simple is best. Fill the tank with saltwater, arrange your rock in a way that is pleasing to you. drop a piece of raw un cooked shrimp into the tank and wait... test every week until ammonia, nitrates, nitrites are 0. add a small clean up crew, wait, add a small fish or coral, wait.... repeat. just remember that good things happen slowly, but bad things happen all at once. Install a skimmer that is bigger than you need, you will not regret it. There are products that will decrease the cycle time, but remember that this will take time and the more patience you have the less money you will waste. Fish are great, but dead fish are no fun, it is all about time and research! The most beautiful tanks did not happen in a month, but many disasters have! :) good luck, this is an awesome community full of people that are more than happy to help!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let me know when your ready for some seed! I was also gonna say you sump looks like it was setup as a wet dry filter. Instead of bio balls, you could put some of your live rock in there and let the water trickle over it. I use my less desirable looking rock in my sump.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The sump you have pictured would require a submersible, from what I can see. It would go in the left chamber. However if that's acrylic, which it looks as though it is, it would be really easy to drill a hole in the side and put a bulkhead in and then have an external pump. That would leave more room in the sump for other items (ie. a skimmer could sit there)

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;175786 said:
The sump you have pictured would require a submersible, from what I can see. It would go in the left chamber. However if that's acrylic, which it looks as though it is, it would be really easy to drill a hole in the side and put a bulkhead in and then have an external pump. That would leave more room in the sump for other items (ie. a skimmer could sit there)
That would be the ideal situation but if not you can run an internal pump with an external skimmer. Blazinjack is correct though more space the better in the sump for a nice refugium, heaters, other pumps, some additional live rock etc. My biggest piece of advice is research research research and read read read. This hobby requires a ton of dedication at first in particular. When I had questions, rather then asking, I just typed in the question to the below forums and got treasure troves worth of good info as well as thousands of reviews and opinions on techniques & equipment.The search button is your friend. The more you can learn about the husbandry of these creatures and the the less money you will waste and the happier your tank will be. Take'r slow and soak up the knowledge. In this hobby knowledge equals less frustration and more money in your pocket...oh and a beautiful thriving ocean in your living room :)

Check out these links:

-------
It says Nano but its a GIANT community and they have an excellent FS section and for new folks this is a great place to use the "Search" button. You'll find hundreds of answers to any possible question you may have! EXCELLENT resource but triple check the facts....as always when it comes to forums.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/

Another great one we all use. Reef 2 Reef - Great group of pros and newbies. Again utilize the search feature to answer all your questions. Excellent resource as well for parts.
http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/forum.php

I buy damn near all if not all my new stuff from Marine Depot. So far best pricing and excellent customer service. Used them for years! You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who can beat their prices.
http://www.marinedepot.com/

I buy my Live Rock or Dry Rock from these guys. Most people are doing Dry Rock nowadays for ocean sustainability reasons but if you want actual Live Rock these guys are hands down the best and their rock is bitchin. Their Marco Key Dry Rock is great too and priced right. Also no minimums on your rock order. Been using them for years.

http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_code=Liverock

The BEST Cleanup Crew (CUC) website around. Reef Cleaners.org - Ask anyone. They are the best for all your snails,hermits etc unless you buy locally.
http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php

Finally as far as local coral/hardware guys and LFS here in Colorado there are plenty! Everyone I've met thus far has been absolutely amazing and insanely helpful.
If you scroll down to the bottom of our forum page you'll see multiple listings for the different LFS and local guys who sell from their homes/warehouses etc.
Good luck with everything and welcome to the wonderfully addicting hobby we call reefing :) If you have questions just PM me! Take Care -- Trevor

Last edited by a moderator:

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank looks good cleaned up. Glad it all got home safe. Don't hesitate to ask questions. This is a good group of guys, and even a few girls on here too. I'll try to help you out where I can, but you have lots of info to go through already.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk