Need help from bta experts.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've had this nem in my tank for going on 5 months. It did great up until recently. The last 2 months it has lost color and hasn't been extending its tentacles half as much as it used to. Everything else in the tank is doing great. Great color and great growth. It's under a kessil a350w at about 100% power. All my perams are normal, the only thing that has changed recently is the fact that I added Gfo to help fight some algae but the nem started looking sad well before that. Here is a pic of the nem before and after. Any help is appreciated.

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Could be its growth. It doesn't look bleached. I think it's fine. Mouth isn't open, has bubble tips. Maybe it wasn't getting the light it needed before. My GBTA isn't as green since I got it under my LEDs.

David

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
Do you ever feed it?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mysis are better than silversides, but it should not need either. Was it under a kessil before, or did you change the light?

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member

It was under an innovative marine led light before. I ramped up my lighting from about 50% to full over months of time.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
If no one has any other idea's. Trying to ramp the light back down to like 90/85% might be worth a shot. (Or some other way of shading it slightly.) Only idea because as kio pointed out, color is it's only main problem.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It should move if it is too unhappy with the light. They can sometimes act funny before they are getting ready to split.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member

jda123;254827 said:
It should move if it is too unhappy with the light. They can sometimes act funny before they are getting ready to split.
It has been in the same spot on the same rock since I got it. I have been waiting for it to move if it was unhappy and it's stayed put. My other nem in my other tank walks all over the place.

cremer9

Butterfly Fish
mine seams to be on the move alot i see alot of fire worms come out of my rocks,I was wondering if they bother it,I lowered my current it seams to help it is bubbling more now...i feed mine mysis and shrimp.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Looks to me like its being irritated by something on the back side based on the pic above. The fornt looks nice and full whereas the back looks shrivled and somewhat sickly. Is there anything back there that may be bothering the nem?

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member

ReefCheif;254900 said:
Looks to me like its being irritated by something on the back side based on the pic above. The fornt looks nice and full whereas the back looks shrivled and somewhat sickly. Is there anything back there that may be bothering the nem?
Not that I have seen. I have been able to see the whole rock since the nem will deflate completely every other night. There is nothin on the rock that I can see but who knows if something is bothering it when I'm not looking at the tank.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I wouldnt worry about it deflating, my sunbursts deflate just about every other night right after the lights go off.

That LEd may not be giving it enough light, or maybe too much. I dont use LEDs so Im not entirley sure. All my nems are at the top to half way down the stack under 250w 20K halides with actinics to suppliment, they love to be blasted with light. Some are in low flow and some are in higher flow so no rhye or reason there, just depends on what side of the tower they are on. ( I have a seperate rock stack tower just for my nems so they dont move to other places in the tank very easily and harm other corals)

I had a rose BTA that completley bleached out and turned white, thought it was dying. I just let it do its thing, it finally found a good spot in the tank and within a few months the rose color came back in full swing.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member

Has anyone noticed any ill effects with running Gfo when there is a nem in the tank?

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

If you decide you don't want him, just let me know... Lol... I'm just kidding. I think it'll be fine. Maybe try moving him.