1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Neil82's build-off competition entry

Discussion in 'Competition Entries' started by neil82, May 4, 2019.

1. neil82

neil82 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

It is kind of funny sounding, isn't it? I did my maintenance today, but didn't clean the glass. So it's still ugly! All I wanted was a tank that was pretty and shiny haha.

2. neil82

Photo from 7/27 before doing maintenance. 20190727_145203-1200x1600.jpg

Cake_Boss and SynDen like this.
  3. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

What’s it look like after the maintenance?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

4. neil82

I meant to take a picture, but forgot to. Now it's coming due for maintenance again so I'll grab a photo once it's cleaned up. The purple frilly gorg had some die off. I'm wondering if it will come back..

5. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Friendly reminder that you need to post up on your progress to remain current in the competition and it must include a pic!

neil82 likes this.
  6. neil82

Thanks for the reminder. It's been a busy end of summer. Did maintenance on the tank today. 5 gallon water change. Sorry, the picture is not great. I'll change 5 more gallons tomorrow and try for a better picture. No other additions of livestock. 20190908_194814-1200x1600.jpg

7. neil82

I should add that the purple frilly gorg and purple whip gorg did not survive and have been removed.

8. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

My gorg didn't make it either. Have to try another order soon.

9. neil82

I still have the golden plume gorg which I really like the looks of.

10. neil82

More pics today. 20190909_204856-1200x1600.jpg 20190909_204817-1600x1200.jpg

SynDen likes this.
  11. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Why do you think they died?

12. neil82

Not sure. First time trying to keep gorgs. Maybe it's overall water quality with this tank being new and still getting established. But to recap what happened, I was doing maintenance and scraped a bunch of algae off the glass which then drifted and got stuck on the gorgs. I left things as is for a day or so, but then decided I would reach in the tank and try to shake the gorg off (this was the purple frilly one). When I did this, a lot of the 'flesh' of the gorg came off too leaving a thin skeleton left behind. I was hoping the gorg would come back, but after a few days, it looked mostly dead so I removed it.

13. Cake_Boss

Did you ever target feed it?

14. neil82

I did not target feed. Is target feeding still required for photosynthetic gorgs? I was thinking the issue was more with getting smothered by algae.

15. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Depends on the gorg. Some absolutely have to be target fed, but many others don't. It also could be a flow thing, gorgs generally need a ton of random flow, so that things dont settle on their branches. They dont have any way to keep their branches clean, they depend on the flow to do it for them

16. Cake_Boss

I was just curious.

17. neil82

The flow is pretty limited currently. Just the return pump. I think I should put a small pump or powerhead in the tank.

18. neil82

I think I'll try it with the gorg I still have. I am trying to be cautious about how much food goes in the tank. But I could do it before a water change.

19. neil82