New 40 gallon breeder tank build starting soon...

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I see what you're saying, but keep the stuff you really like, whether it's a 'fancy' one or not. I have always liked a strange mix of stuff, most of which isn't anything that anyone else would consider special. Hell, I like gsp, for petesake. I love seeing the back glass or overflows covered in it. Or covered in the orange cap. If you're ready for a few of the harder/fancier ones, then go for it! It only takes one or two showpieces to make a tank look really spectacular.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;360616 said:
I see what you're saying, but keep the stuff you really like, whether it's a 'fancy' one or not. I have always liked a strange mix of stuff, most of which isn't anything that anyone else would consider special. Hell, I like gsp, for petesake. I love seeing the back glass or overflows covered in it. Or covered in the orange cap. If you're ready for a few of the harder/fancier ones, then go for it! It only takes one or two showpieces to make a tank look really spectacular.
Agreed! It's usually the typical corals like your birdsnest or orange cap that really provide a good filler and fast growers that will compliment some nicer high end ones thrown in the mix that take a lot longer to grow.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
And truly, most of the 'fancy' corals are high end only because they are new to the hobby, or hard to keep. Not because they're better than any other ones, but because they cost more. I'm sure Kim Kardashian is really expensive & hard to keep, but that doesn't make me like her any more.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;360619 said:
And truly, most of the 'fancy' corals are high end only because they are new to the hobby, or hard to keep. Not because they're better than any other ones, but because they cost more. I'm sure Kim Kardashian is really expensive & hard to keep, but that doesn't make me like her any more.
Hahaha. Yes, I'm sure she is expensive and hard to keep. Lol. Yeah, I have GSP on my overflow and I really like it too. The orange cap and purple digital are interesting, they are just getting so big that they block light and flow. Most of the corals in my tank are frag size but once they fill in, I probably have enough coral to fill a 120g. Lol. So, what I am thinking is to narrow down my huge list and keep my favorites. Whether They are fancy expensive ones or not. I do like all the corals in my tank though and that's why I bought them originally. So, it will be hard to choose. I guess for the time being, I will just have to keep trimming back and once I can't see any more rock or my back glass, then decide what to do. :)

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
tomtom2245;360618 said:
Agreed! It's usually the typical corals like your birdsnest or orange cap that really provide a good filler and fast growers that will compliment some nicer high end ones thrown in the mix that take a lot longer to grow.
They certainly are fast growers. I have to trim them about once a week. Lol

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank update:
the tank has been up and running for about 14 months.

clean up crew
20 tiny Nassarius snails
20 tiny Cerith snails
5 Nerite Snails
5 Astrea snails
3 Turbo snails
3 Banded Trochus
2 tiger Nassarius snails
1 fighting conch
4 Emerald Crab
1 Blue leg hermit
10 Red leg hermit
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

3 peppermint shrimp

Current fish
1 ORA B&W Clownfish
1 ORA Indigo Dottyback
1 Green Mandarin

Current coral
Reef Raft Wolverine
Pro Coral Superman Acro
Jason Fox Fox Flame Acro
Jason Fox Candyland Cyphastrea
Jason Fox Outer Space Psammocora
Strawberry shortcake Acropora
Red Dragon
Turaki
Cali Tort
Bloody Mary Montipora
Chili Pepper Montipora
Orange Capricornis Montipora
Green Capricornis Montipora
Rainbow Montipora
Blue Polyp Flowerpot montipora
Hologram montipora
Mystic Montipora
Tubbs Stellata Montipora
Sunset Montipora
Purple Polyp stylophora
unknown blue tenuis
Tyree Pot of Gold Favia
Highlighter Acro

Gonzo's yellow eye Pectinia
Diaseris Fragilis (green)
Yellow Scroll
Hairy Lavender Mushroom
Green Mushroom
green mushroom with blue spots
Green/red/purple acan

micromussa orange/green
Rainbow Acan
Blastomussa Merletti
Toxic Trumpet
Pulsing Xenia
green striped clove
yellow striped clove
Long Tentacled GSP
Maze brain
Fungia
Yellow Scroll
Purple Digitata
Rainbow Symphillia
Jack O Lantern Lepto
Ice Breaker Chalice
golden eye chalice
Green Parascolymia
Bleeding Apple Scoly
Green Pocilapora
Rainbow Leptastrea
Bowerbanki

Zoas
WWC Pink Krakatoa
WWC Halle Berries
Hallucinations
Emeralds on Fire
MBC Vampire
Electric Oompa Loompa
Fruit Loops
Pinwheels
Scrambled Eggs
Eagle Eyes
Greenbay Packers
Fire and Ice
Speckled Fire and Ice
Spider Man
Candy Apple Pinks
Candy Apple Reds
Rastas
Sunny D
Vivid Rainbow
Kedd Redd
PZ Stingers
Space Monster
Strawberry Lemonade
My Clementine
Goochster
Tubbs blues
Pink Zippers
whammin' watermelons
Gorilla Nipples
Blueberry fields
Hawaiian Ding Dangs
Wolverine
Utter Chaos
Red hornets
Magicians
Mohawks
VDM
Smurfs
Captain America
Bam Bam Orange
Joker
variety of no named zoas/paly's

Macro Algae
Red Dragon
Dragon's Breath
Dragon's Tongue
Chaetomorpha

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
As some of you may have heard, I recently moved to my forever home in Golden. During the move of my 40b and 17g I made a rookie mistake and didn't replace my sand. I have moved 5 times before with tanks without ever having a loss but I always changed the sand. Well of course, I ended losing about half of my corals and a few fish. So, it is time to restart both tanks. I went ahead and replaced all of the sand and rocks in both tanks. The 17g will become a zoa garden with maybe a softie or two. The 40 is going to be SPS dominated. Maybe SPS exclusively. Since this thread is for the 40, I will only post pics of my progress of the 40.

here's a couple pics from different angles. I just got it started tonight.