New LEDS for 75 gal reef tank help

Hey guys I was looking at picking up different lights for my system. I was wanting to go LED. Below are the descriptions and features of what I was looking at. Please let me know what you think.

48"- 58" LED Light HI LUMEN Aquarium Fish Tank White Blue Extendable

Description :

This LED fixture provides a high quality, energy efficient light fixture. Use bright full mode white/blue LED during the day and lunar blue LED during the night. Long lasting LEDs with no bulb replacement required.

FEATURE:

• 10% brighter than regular LED light with 10% more LED bulbs©

• Make your aquarium looks cool with 10000K cool white light LED

• Super slim housing with black finish

• Day Mode (both white and actinic LEDs on) and Night Mode (only Actinic LEDs on)

• Longer extendable bracket to fit on wide range of aquarium size

SPECIFICATION:

• Includes 189 LEDs*

• 174x 10000K cool white

• 15x 460nm Actinic

• Lumen : 2450

• Extendable bracket - 48"-58" max extend

• Splash guard

• AC110-240V AC adapter

DIMENSION:**46.25" x3.5" x 0.5"*

INCLUDES:*

1 piece of LED light

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I personally don't care for the 10000K look, but it's all personal preference.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djromo;349062 said:
OK well I'm just lookin for something that will be good for my tank but also isn't going to put a hole in my wallet lol

Aren't we all :p This whole hobby is a giant money pit.

Lights and salt are 2 things you should definitely not skimp on. As for good for your tank, I recommend looking into a 4 bulb t5ho fixture. Yes the maintenance is more expensive but it has a lower upfront cost and provides an awesome light for a 75g.

This is what you would want if you went that route: https://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-4x54W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52305.htm

or one with a built in timer and larger light spread: http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-4x54W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Digi-Timer-Fixture-p/52325.htm

Note I strongly recommend swapping out the bulbs these come with but they will be fine for 2-4 months. You will want to swap the bulbs out for either ATI or Giesemann bulbs.

Or if you want a cheaper option, I have 2x 2 bulb t5ho fixtures I would sell for $20 each but they definitely will need new bulbs.

Ya same exact light. I just feel that it's not lighting the tank like I want it to. It doesn't seem like the lights bring out the colors in anything.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djromo;349069 said:
Ya same exact light. I just feel that it's not lighting the tank like I want it to. It doesn't seem like the lights bring out the colors in anything.
What bulbs do you have in it right now?

If they are the bulbs it came with that's the problem.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So there are hundreds of good combinations that work for t5's.

But some good ones to note:

1xUVL 75/25 14k MID (Or another Blue Plus BLUE)
1xATI Aquablue 12k DAY
1xUVL Aquasun 10K DAY
1xATI Blue Plus BLUE

1x ATI aquablue+
2x UVL 75:25 (14k)
1x Giesemann pure actinic (I love this bulb)

1 x ATI Aquablue
1 x KZ Coral Light
1 x ATI Blue Plus
1 x KZ Fiji

2 ati aquablue special
2 ati blue +

2 ati ab special
1 ati blue plus
1 uvl super actinic

Note KZ stands for Korallen Zucht

Bulb price ranges:

ATI $20 per bulb
Guisenman $19-27 per bulb
Korallen Zucht $15-19 per bulb
UVL $10-18 per bulb

So that is quite a lot lol. what combination would you recommend for my tank? I wouldn't even know where to start with choosing the light bulbs

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djromo;349073 said:
So that is quite a lot lol. what combination would you recommend for my tank? I wouldn't even know where to start with choosing the light bulbs
What are a majority of your coral? And what color temperature do you prefer? 10-14k? or more blue 16-22k?

I got a pretty good mixture of hard and soft corals. I really do like the more blue color. I really just want the best combination so my fish and coral are happy

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would probably go this route:

1x ATI aquablue+
2x UVL 75:25 (14k)
1x Giesemann pure actinic (I love this bulb)

And if it is not blue enough for you I would swap one of the UVL's for a KZ Fiji purple or ATI Purple +

T5's are fantastic as you can constantly change the color temp to fit what you want. I recommend posting arround to see if anyone has any extra bulbs laying arround so you can play arround with the look. Pretty much anything you choose of those 4 brands will be 2-3x better than what you have now.