New LEDS for 75 gal reef tank help

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djromo;349082 said:
So to get both sides is there any LEDs that would work great. I'm just trying to look at all my options
There are lots of good LED fixtures but most of them are expensive.

So as for the cheap china fixtures, I have only seen 1 tank that is truly exceptional that had these on them. ReeferMatt here on the forums uses them and his tank is fantastic. If you want to go the cheap route, message him and see what all he does for his tank.

Some other good options I have seen great results with:

AI Sols
AI Hydras
AI Hydra 52s
Radeons gen 2 or newer

Great White Aquatic's show tank uses radeons it looks pretty good. It is an SPS dominant reef.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/...-Reefbloke-s-return-to-6-foot-of-fun-(almost) Reef Bloke here has been using the progressions of the AI LED's

Just a note: I base my opinion on what I see in results. I personally have never used any of the mass produced LED's except the Maxspec R420r. The maxspec r420r is good for shallow tanks but the par output is lacking. And if anyone recommends Kessils have them post pictures of their tank. I have not seen a tank I like lit with Kessils. But just be cautious when it comes to recommendations. Everyone has their own opinions and nothing helps better than pictures. I personally would recommend halides with LED but most people are anti halide due to the cost of maintenance.

People using halides:
Me,Doug (JDA), Scott Chase (Scchase), DYM, Jgonzz(Gonzo's Coral Frags), Mike (Dr.HarlemTutu), Luke (LukeFraisure), Mike Paletta, Steve Tyree, Vivid Aquariums, and tons more. (Had to toss in some famous tanks :p)

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
DJ, I just bought a kessil for my tank. Like Seth said its hit or miss. I have seen stellar tanks lit by kessils or ugly ones. I think it has to do with multiple things, if you take your time leds will usually go on sale, but be patient and get what you want. I personally think AI, Kessil, and Radions are the big three I have seen in this hobby but there are also maxspects etc. Its usually preference though. When you come back down i will show you how my kessil looks over the tank.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;349089 said:
And if anyone recommends Kessils have them post pictures of their tank. I have not seen a tank I like lit with Kessils.

I figured I need to clarify on this. I meant only lit by kessils. I have seen several of Kessil T5 combo lit tanks and they look fantastic.

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could always look in to the RapidLED route as well.

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;349100 said:
I figured I need to clarify on this. I meant only lit by kessils. I have seen several of Kessil T5 combo lit tanks and they look fantastic.
I agree that a lot of kessil tanks might not look the best but i have seen tanks lit only by kessils that have looked good. I also believe its a combo of things, such as the setting they have it on and the rest of the tank as a whole etc. I know kessils can grow the same stuff as the other led's because great white does it in their frag tank, so really its all about your personal preference of color. Anywhere you look people will always have an opinion on that particular led, some good some bad.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
djromo;349069 said:
Ya same exact light. I just feel that it's not lighting the tank like I want it to. It doesn't seem like the lights bring out the colors in anything.
Its about the bulb combo with these. You have seen my tank and I run 4 bulb t5 retro fit over it.
I tried several bulb combos till I found what I wanted and each combo gave dramatic different colors. The combo I ended up going with and likely will stick with is 2 ATI Blue +, 1 ATI purple + and 1 ATI Coral +

crisc;349370 said:
We stock ATI 48" bulbs. Have blue plus, aquablade special, coral plus and pure actinic. $23.99 each
I wish I could make it down there but I rarely ever go that south. I live in cheyenne