NTB Fish Trap

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Trying to catch a powder blue tang in a fully established reef. Prior attempts with a net were unsuccessful (after training him to eat out of it). Option 1, and best for the fish is if I can use a trap, but space is limited. If you have one for me to borrow, please let me know. The tang is 6-7 inches.

If this doesn't work, I'm thinking of doing the tank drain method here in post 1. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=707656

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
UFFDA! I remember your tank (one of the absolute most beautiful ones I've ever seen), and I do not envy you trying to get your powder blue out of it.

Have you tried the bottle method for trapping fish? (Cut off the bottom, remove the wrapper, leave the cap on. Attach a pull cord near the now-open bottom, put food in the narrow part, and sink the whole thing down into the tank. Hold it very still by the pull cord. The fish will go in after the food, and you pull the cord to lift the bottle out of the water.) I've done this multiple times, and it works. It's faster than trying to arrange to get a fish trap from someone, but it does take some patience.

Good luck, man.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;343733 said:
I've got this one and I live 5 minutes from you. View attachment 22917
Sending you a PM to borrow. Really apprecreciat the pic with measurements.

FinsUp!;343730 said:
UFFDA! I remember your tank (one of the absolute most beautiful ones I've ever seen), and I do not envy you trying to get your powder blue out of it.

Have you tried the bottle method for trapping fish? (Cut off the bottom, remove the wrapper, leave the cap on. Attach a pull cord near the now-open bottom, put food in the narrow part, and sink the whole thing down into the tank. Hold it very still by the pull cord. The fish will go in after the food, and you pull the cord to lift the bottle out of the water.) I've done this multiple times, and it works. It's faster than trying to arrange to get a fish trap from someone, but it does take some patience.

Good luck, man.
Thanks Cindy on the complement. I don't have much room at the bottom of the tank, and plan to put any trap up high with magnets. I'm going to give that about a week or two before I use the drain method.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Wasn't sure if it would be big enough so I thought you could decide.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
BrianH;343746 said:
Your powder blue has finally worn out his welcome? Good luck catching him!
Nothing like that. I absolutely love big blue. Had him for 6+ yrs, and such personality. The tang police have nothing to do with it but they are right, the fish tank size guidance is there for a reason. Love the fact that I got to enjoy him for so long but I see the signs that he is outgrowing my reef, and the responsible thing to do is catch em and give em a new home now, before it becomes an emergency.

it's hard to take a picture without him, no matter what side of the wall I'm on.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Success!!!! I tried the fish trap for three days, and my Powder Blue would not go in, other fish did, and he waited outside to grab the shrimp that slowly came out. Although I really enjoy looking at the reef, waiting hours for a fish to go into a trap so I could close the door was rather boring.

The drain and catch method worked very well. Start to finish took about 20min, with the top corals only being exposed to air for about 5min.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I assume you won't see any negative affect from the air exposure after only 5 mins but curious what your experience is

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Glad to hear you got him out without too much trouble. Did you add the same water back in or treat it like a big water change?

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
went home for lunch today and everything looks fine.

Yes, just pumped the old water back in. Simply had a 42gal and 32gal bute trash cans, and took out all the water until there was about 3" above the sand. Two hoses were used; an 1" ID hose, and then used another hose for drain, and pump - 3/4". This was a two person operation. My wife held the 1" tube low in the tank, while I used the 3/4". First, return pump and power heads turned off, all corals from the sand bed were removed and placed in my frag area downstairs. I'd imagine one could just use a 5 gal bucket for this temp placement of coral. So pumps were shut off with iPad (Apex), than I started one syphon, then the other. The 3/4 hose was about half way down and with both tubes draining the tank really fast (literally 3 min tops). About half way drained, I stopped the 3/4, and hooked the pump on to it and put it inside one of the brute cans. Then took my net and went to the other side. For those who don't know my setup, it's viewable from both sides built into a wall with rock and coral in the middle. I ensured to have the fish stay on the side we were not on, and used a net to scare him once, but as mentioned the water draining was really fast. With 3" of water, catching the fish was rather easy, took two tries, literaly a min. I ran downstairs and put him in the QT setup which is a 39Gal cube. Went upstairs and the MAG9 pump make quick work at getting the water back into the tank.

Obviously the corals were all slimed up but after a few hours (and skimmer going crazy) everything was back to normal.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
That was as well-planned & -executed extraction as I'd expect from you, Dave. Glad to hear it went well! Sounds like minimum stress was placed on all concerned.