Over heating problem

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just bought a jbj nano cube 6 yesterday, I set the heater to 78, turned on the lights and let it run. I come back a few hours later and the tank is really warm.

The lights say 24watts on the ballast, and they are PC lights. My question is, will the lights run enough heat to keep the heater on a timer and keep it off during the day, and only come on just before the lights go out?

Or is there an inexpensive led retrofit I can do to keep the heat down?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
when you saw warm how warm is the water?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, if the tank is heating above 78 due to lighting, the thermostat on the heater should be shutting it off...a timer won't be necessary.

Once you determine the max temp you're getting due to the lighting, if its not too warm, you're best bet may be to try to stabilize the tank within a couple degrees of that mark. The other easy option may be to reduce the ambient temp in the house.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
It sits at about 82-83 degrees. It's been that temp all day today, so should I set the heater in that area to avoid futures stress to anything i put in there?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
My tank varies from 78_82 every day never had a problem with it.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would say the heater is keeping the tank at 79 and when the lights come on it goes up, just lower the thermostat to 74-75 and see how it does.