PAR METER - Rental Program

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Alright Par Meter checked back in and I have it now. WatercolorsGuy aka MIKE you are up. PM me for pick up.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: PAR METER - Rental Program

CRW Reef;242434 said:
Ok I have par meter again. Martin you're up!!!
I'll pass till the new system is running! No need to measure a nano with a radion on it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I was pretty surprised by the results I got on three different tanks. Will post a new thread to discuss.

Stzim

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member

At a 9" depth my current 4 bulb t5s are giving me 160 par. 125 at sand. Bulbs are fairly new.

At a 9" depth the new Cree xp-e /xp-g led lights that I will be installing are 666 par at 100% power. 333 at sand.

Sure glad I have dimming capabilities for the leds. I am going to update the ldd driver boards so that if the dimming signal is lost they turn off rather than go 100%.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

bubbarockies;243831 said:
I was wating for my name to get called and realized that I never actually got added to the list. My bad. Can I get put on the list please?
You got it!

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Stzim;243711 said:
At a 9" depth my current 4 bulb t5s are giving me 160 par. 125 at sand. Bulbs are fairly new.

At a 9" depth the new Cree xp-e /xp-g led lights that I will be installing are 666 par at 100% power. 333 at sand.

Sure glad I have dimming capabilities for the leds. I am going to update the ldd driver boards so that if the dimming signal is lost they turn off rather than go 100%.
Yeah I know I wish I had dimmers with over 1400 PAR at the surface and over 950 at about 9" on my reef coming from 250w MH that were doing 250 at the surface...

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
List me please. May self bump down the list depending how fast it goes. Don't want to bother checking it out till probably after I move in June/closer to having my LEDS come in.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Allan you are up man. I have the meter at my house so you can pick it up here. Text me to make arrangements

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just measured my tank, and am surprised at the readings, and not sure where I should have things set.

About 6-8" below the water line, with my lights set to 50%, I am getting a reading of 80 on the PAR meter, per Chad, I multiply that number X5, then add 15%. This gives me a PAR of around 460. At the sand, I have around 150-175.

If I turn my lights to 100%, I get a reading of 95-100 about 6-8" down, giving me a reading of 575 PAR. The sandbed is about 240 or so.

Should I keep things at 50% with a reading of 460, or should I turn the up or down a little?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depends what you keep. I'd tone it back if it was me. Unless everything is happier than can be and has good color.

According to the BRS video I watched yesterday, high light SPS needs at most 500 par. LPS around 250. And Softies 50-150. Obviously with varience in the categories, but he sure made it sound like 500 was as high as you need for any type of coral.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

andyrm66;244921 said:
Why multiply by 5? I thought par meters read 20% low on blue leds, not that they only read 20% of the par?
Multiply by 5 because technically it's not a par meter, the sensor on this one plugs into a basic voltmeter and the numbers on the display are in millivolts. You have to multiply the mv by 5 to convert it to get the actual par reading.