Pearly Jawfish question

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have been wanting a pearly jawfish for a long time now. My question for you all is, do they cover your tank in sand? By that I mean, I had an eyelash goby that waved its tail into the sand and buried nearly all corals that sat on my sand bed and my tank was constantly cloudy. It was a huge mistake adding the eyelash goby and I want to make sure the same thing isnt going to happen with the pearly jaw. I do have a yellow watchman that sifts the sand through its gills onto some corals but that is not problem like this other fish was.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've had a jawfish and it didn't stir up sand very much at all it will dig out one spot and usually stay in that area and just prairie dog there.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a black cap and it never really made a mess of the tank at all. Just made a ton of holes.

From what I have been told pearly are the least hardy and tend to die within a few months I wanted one as well.
One reason they die is not being target fed if you have more aggressive eaters in the tank, two they need a crushed coral substrate. I dont know this from experience just what I was told and have read.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are really cool and have a great color it takes them awhile to be out and about but very cool they are jumpers that's how we lost our "Pearl" lol!

Kindafishy

Cleaner Shrimp
I had one for a few years back when my sand bed was large grain crushed coral and shells. He had a single hole he maintained 12/7 (not at night). LOL. He caps the hole he lived in with a rock at night!

I've been told many times they don't do so well in fine sand, like I run now. However Aqua imports in Boulder has had a blue spotted jaw fish in their front display tank for a few years now WITH fine sand. It looks to me like his hole is surrounded by shells and coral pieces. So, I think they (someone in the store) somehow gave him that spot, then added extra large grain sand for building to only that part of the tank. (The hole is in the front right corner of the tank, no where near any rock work)

Mine spent it's entire life hovering over his/her hole, and maintaining said hole. It never "sifted" sand. Just brought unwanted pieces out of the hole and dropped them. Then returned to hovering, or maintaining.

Last edited by a moderator: