Pom Pom Crabs, fighting or mating?

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I've had 1 Pom Pom for 3 weeks or so...never really see it. Last night picked up another one...I read they are peaceful and even help each other with sharing the anenome if they lose one so figured maybe a 2nd will make the other less shy and I would get to see them more.

I got the new one in the tank and he picks a hiding spot right out in the open...sure enough not long after i see the other pom pom crab out of his hiding spot and looking the direction of the new one...Lights go out for the nite and i watch the new one start exploring and lost track of the older crab.

So I am checking out the state of things in the tank this morning and I notice the crabs are in one of the little caves. They are facing each other they could be wrestling, fighting, or mating for all i can tell. They are all intertwined legs basically holding eachother. I see ones "hands" are free and now and then legs come up and she/he pushes them down his mouth isn't on the other(so i'm assuming no biting), but can't really see what the other is doing. I REALLY tried getting a picture, but it was just dark and I couldn't get my camera to focus.

I didn't sex the crabs so don't know that information.

Thoughts?

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I really hope they are making the love...Would rather not come home to only having 1 crabby.

Also found this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tlRQ411-RE

The first video it looks like one is on the back of the other or atleast behind....and this one it looks like they are facing...as far as i could tell they looked like they were facing eachother in my tank.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lights out both pom poms came out...everyone is alive so yay! Not hanging together so thinking was a fight, at least the are both alive.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Apparently I managed to get lucky enough to get a male and female crab. The new one I got is male and the old one is female. She has eggs now.

G

i have one pom pom and occasionally it will show itself with an orange bunch of eggs on its belly. Leads me to believe its a female. Obviously the male must come by and fertilize the eggs somehow, which leads me to believe they produce asexually? Therefore yours were probably fighting...