Power usage

Through my primitive understanding of electricity. It would seem to me that a 400w heater and a 400w mh would consume the same amount of electricity. Is this ignorant?

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Watts divided by volts equals amps. So yes in theory they consume the same amount of power given they are running the same amount of time.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The 400w heater is going to be kicking on and off during the day which makes measure average power consumption over a period of time a little harder to calculate vs a MH light being turned on for "x" hours a day.

If you're just trying to figure out loading (will the circuit support this device) I would imagine that they draw roughly the same current based in the same wattage rating. However, I've never actually hook up a meter to verify my 250w heaters actually consume 250watts.

They sell cheep meters at hardware stores called "kill-a-watt" meters that will tell you what the current and wattage draw are for plugged in appliances. That might be worth investing in if you need hard numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

halmus;n649769 said:
The 400w heater is going to be kicking on and off during the day which makes measure average power consumption over a period of time a little harder to calculate vs a MH light being turned on for "x" hours a day.

If you're just trying to figure out loading (will the circuit support this device) I would imagine that they draw roughly the same current based in the same wattage rating. However, I've never actually hook up a meter to verify my 250w heaters actually consume 250watts.

They sell cheep meters at hardware stores called "kill-a-watt" meters that will tell you what the current and wattage draw are for plugged in appliances. That might be worth investing in if you need hard numbers.
You are right, I am figuring load. I am disconnecting a heater an need to replace it with a light. Running close to max cap with heater going. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk