Preparing stock solutions from Seachem products

I've been researching how much of each chemical to add to prepare 2 separate stock solutions from the Seachem Reef Builder Alkalinity and Reef Advantage Calcium dry chemicals and was wondering if anyone has done this and had success with it?

If so, how much of each chemical did you add to a specific volume or is there a link to an online calculator that explains the amount to add? I am basically trying to create a 2-part liquid additive that doesn't need to be mixed each time I want to dose without paying through the nose for a stock solution like other 2 part additives. Thanks in advance.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Preparing stock solutions from Seachem products

For the seachem products, follow the directions on the bottles.

For the DIY 2 part, follow the link in my sig(frugal 2 part, I think) it has helpful articles and the DIY chemicals.

As to know how much to add, depends on your tank. How much are you using?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Calculator: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

I use these products and used the bottle instructions as a guideline...but simplified things a little to make the math more straightforward.

For the alk, I mix 1 gram of product per 100mls of water.

For Calcium I mix 2 grams of product per 100mls of water.

I do everything by weight...so I tare the empty container on my digital scale, add RO, then weigh it and do the quick math to figure out how much product to add. For example... 2000mls of water would get 20g of alk product added, or 40g of Ca product added.

You can use the calculator in that link to figure out the amount of product in grams that you need to dose. For alk...if it says you need to dose say 2g per day...then you know you simply need 200ml of stock solution. For calcium...if it said you needed say 2g of product...then it's 100ml of stock solution.

Hope that helps...

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I mix them in 2 liter bottles and connect them to dosing pumps.

I have to refill the alk bottle about every 6 days...calcium maybe every 2 weeks.