1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Quarantine tank set up

Discussion in 'Newbies Corner' started by Roxborough Reefer, Sep 2, 2018.

1. After reading a lot of forum threads of sick and dead fish etc.. I understand the importance of quarantining of fish prior to introducing them into your tank. How do I set up a QT in an economical way? Should I take advantage of the sales this weekend at Petsmart of buying a 10 gallon aquarium kit for 50% off? If you quarantine, what is your methods and set up?

Thanks in advance
    Jacob

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

2. Legonch

Legonch Emerald Reef Supply M.A.S.C Club Member Featured Sponsor

Or.....buy fish and corals from me. All my fish go through 30 days qt. Fish are medicated for ich, velvet, and parasites. Totally clean fish when their sold. All corals go through a 30 day qt as well and are dipped 3-4 times during

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

Haddonisreef likes this.
  3. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Even when buying from a reputable vendor that QTs their new arrivals well, it's still important to have at least an observational QT setup for no less than 2 weeks because you never know what they might have missed

The cheapest method is to buy a 10-40 gallon tank (depends on the size of your main tank), a HOB filter that you can use to run carbon to remove any medicines (the ones with the bio wheel are nice because you can still run them without carbon for extra filtration and water movement), a heater adequate for the tank size, a light of any kind to inspect the fish (a 5w LED clamp on is adequate), a sponge filter that you keep in your main tank sump until you get a new arrival, an air pump to drive the sponge filter, and some non-porous hiding places like some PVC fittings.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

Archit likes this.
  4. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

There is a fantastic thread on this on reef2reef. Its worth checking out.

neil82 likes this.
  5. That sounds better. I look forward to a future business interaction.

Legonch likes this.
  6. I will review. Thank you for the suggestion.

7. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

I personally believe all tanks have something. In order to make sure not illnesses are present you would have to QT every snail,shrimp,coral,fish,and rock. There is even speculation certain parasites can survive in frozen food. Far fetch in my opinion but just adds to the list.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

neil82 and Archit like this.
  8. Legonch

I don’t miss anything. Ever. My fish are clean when they leave. I’d have no problem dropping any of my fish for sale in my own system.

9. ReefCheif

ReefCheif Marlin Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

Thats a pretty bold statement, and something id have to disagree with completely. I dont care who you are, how you QT or how long you QT, your NOT gonna catch everything and suggesting otherwise and telling hobbiest theres no need to QT if buying from you is just irresponsible as a vendor. Any experienced hobbiest or professional knows the #1 rule of this game is QT, regardless of where the livestock came from.

10. Legonch

It is a bold statement I agree. Of course you can qt after buying fish from me, that’s your choice. But no need to.

11. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I agree with this.

A good vendor QT may eliminate the need to proactively treat with meds, but it doesn't eliminate the need for QT. You need some time to observe the fish to make sure nothing got missed, you need a place of no competition to transition onto the food you plan to use, and you need a place that won't foul your main tank if it dies from shipping stress.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

Legonch likes this.
  12. Legonch

All good information here. It’s so sad and frustrating to hear of people losing all of their livestock due to velvet and or ich etc. that’s a big reason I started doing all this.

13. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Legonch and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  14. Because of the great advice I got in this thread and the link that was shared by SynDen. I got a used 12 gallon JBJ nano glass aquarium. It came with a Aquaclear HOB filter. After cleaning it, the only thing I need is a light and heater. Thanks everyone.

Archit, SynDen and neil82 like this.