Quarantine?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I know that the quarantine process is a must. I have learned this lesson the hard way. The problem I have though is that I have had a very difficult time getting fish to survive through the quarantine process. I have a 29 gallon set up with a HOB filter that has been setup for sometime. I have not used any chemicals/medications in the tank yet. Last school year I killed a great pair of swallowtail angels and today I killed an Atlantic blue tang. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Yesterday the tang appeared to be fine was actively swimming around and eating aggressively. Today it was dead. I did notice a couple of dark spots yesterday that appeared to be lost or darker scales and to be safe I fed Dr. G's antiparasitic food. Today the corpse was covered with dark spots. How do you guys quarantine? What procedures do you follow? What is the easiest and most effective way to introduce fish to your DT safely?

Highclimber23

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
First, what I do is aclimate them to the qt. Make sure you have plenty of hiding places to help reduce the overall stress on the fish. I leave lights off for the first day as well. Depending on if the qt was cycled or not the next step I'll do is add some biological media that's been stored in the display(dispose of after qt process). Then it's just watch water perameters, and visually inspect fish everyday. I do add an air stone whether it helps or not who knows. I also use a hob filter as well. Biggest thing I can say is watch the water chemistry and make sure it's perfect so as to not add any extra stress.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I should add a sponge. I do have air stones pumping in air too though. Since I have a sponge filter I will add that too.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sponge for sure. You can leave it in your sump until you get a new arrival and then biological filter is ready to go at a moment's notice. At the end of the quarantine you just soak it in RODI, let it dry and then back into the sump.

Also make sure you put some PVC fittings in the QT. Makes great hiding places that are sterile and easy to clean.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.