Quest Library 180 gallon Gorgonian/Caribbean Biotope Build

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So this past weekend a new adventure began! Thanks to Jake Adams for graciously donating this 180 gallon super tall tank and giving me the idea of building it as a Gorgonian Concept tank. View attachment 22914

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Tank: 180 Gallon 48" x 24" x 36"h

Lightning: Aquamedic 2 x 250 watt 1 x 150 watt MH 48" fixture
T-5 2 x 54 watt fixture

Skimmer: Aquamedic unknown model may upgrade or use my Bullet 3
View attachment 22915

Sump: TBD or built

Return Pump: Reeflo Snapper or TBD

Circulation: Hoping for 2 Ecotech MP40 quiet drives

More to come as this develops.

Definitely looking for any suggestions/help you may be willing to offer.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
To Do List:
Leak test/vinegar soak
Build center brace if need be? Looks like someone eurobraced the tank with glass and silicone but the center brace they made appears to have broken.
Reseal maybe
Drill for overflow
Build overflow
Build or have a sump built (hopefully a donation from one of our lovely sponsors)
Plumb it
Leak test it again
Move it to school
Fill with pretty living things
Teach kids to care for and clean it
Sit back relax and watch it grow

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
That will be awsome!! I just spent all of last week on some of the reefs in the Caribbean and took lots of pictures of the different corals, gorgonians, and marine life. Id be more than happy to share my pictures and observations if it would help.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
BrianH;343626 said:
That will be awsome!! I just spent all of last week on some of the reefs in the Caribbean and took lots of pictures of the different corals, gorgonians, and marine life. Id be more than happy to share my pictures and observations if it would help.
Any ideas/pics would be great. Just went to Mexico in October so I've got some good ideas.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome concept, and especially good 'to do' list. Watching this come together.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:stoked:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;343644 said:
I have a ton of muriatic acid if you want a good extremely thorough clean
+1 muriatic acid works 100x better than vinegar. Just need to be careful and use goggles gloves and a vapor mask to be safe. I don't even bother with vinegar anymore.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
ThunderTwonk;343665 said:
+1 muriatic acid works 100x better than vinegar. Just need to be careful and use goggles gloves and a vapor mask to be safe. I don't even bother with vinegar anymore.
Are you guys talking about using it to soak or just spray on, soak, and scrub off? I know its HCl so it's a lot stronger than vinegar. Will this damage silicone or acrylic?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dilute it 50/50 with tap water and soak what I can. Home depot sells two strengths. Full strength is usually kept with their outdoor garden supply stuff which might need to be diluted even further. I have only used the "eco friendly" stuff which is weaker but it works great and is usually with some of the paint supply stuff. I soak pumps, skimmers, and anything else that needs a good bath for like 10 minutes then rinse. Comes out super clean with almost no rubbing or scraping at all.

you could spray it too but be careful doing that make sure you are well protected it will eat through concrete and other stuff and does some weird stuff to aluminum and other metals but I have not had any issues with plastics, acrylic, or silicone.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I think I'll be able to knock out my skimmer project for the 360 and clean the 180 at the same time. I've already got a gallon of the stuff.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I won't do 50/50 on a 180 gallon tank but if I do a couple of gallons and soak it over night so you think that would work? Or be too long?

A friend of mine just used Muratic for cleaning rocks. He said that it took 4 gallons to clean roughly 50 lbs. The acid burns itself out with dirtier objects.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Used 3 gallons of 31% HCl muriatic acid in ~180 gallons of water. Do you guys think that's enough?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Doubtful. Most people use 5%-10% muriatic acid, which would be a dilution rate of 1 part muriatic acid to 5 parts water in your case. Im sure slightly less concentration would still work, but not 0.5% like you have done.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Actually I've added a 4th gallon and even before that the coralline algae on the skimmer was dissolving in sheets as is much of the organics that were left on the glass of the aquarium. I'm thinking it will be sufficient especially with an over night soak.