Quest Library 180 gallon Gorgonian/Caribbean Biotope Build

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;344166 said:
Actually I've added a 4th gallon and even before that the coralline algae on the skimmer was dissolving in sheets as is much of the organics that were left on the glass of the aquarium. I'm thinking it will be sufficient especially with an over night soak.
Id leave it for a couple days just to make sure. Maybe even add another gallon tomorrow to refresh the acid that has been neutralized and let it soak overnight after that.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I dropped my algae magnet in there and the glass is clean. I'm going to see how easy to clean the skimmer is tomorrow but I think I can check two things off my list!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I was worried when I picked this tank up but it is going to be freaking awesome!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The skimmer is for the 360 gallon tank that is already running in my classroom.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Glass is almost scrubbed clean, but I'm having a hard time getting to the bottom of the tank. I have about 2 inches of water left in the tank and I added another gallon of muriatic acid. I am going to let that soak and circulate for a while. Once all looks good I plan of filling it up again to give it a good rinse should I soak it again? And if so how long should I soak it? In theory I should be able to fill it soak it, drain it, and soak it again with a bunch of declorinator since it is just HCl. Thoughts?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You dont even need dechlorinator. 99.99% of chlorine is removed from water with minor aeration within 24 hours. I would just drain it, fill it, let it sit for 24 hours, and then drain and fill.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Quest Library Gorgonian/Caribbean 180 Biotope Build

Tank is clean and currently empty. Sorry Zombie I didn't get your post until I had made a decision. I rinsed it multiple times filling it about half way each time. I figured I would also be running it with water when I leak test it plus since I'll be drilling for an overflow it will get washed again. Looks great there are some minor scratches both front and back.

Another question, the tank doesn't have conventional plastic rims top or bottom but has 2" glass euro bracing top and bottom inside the tank. It previously had a glass center brace that was 3" wide but it was broken and gone when I took possession. I'm thinking I will silicone another piece of glass in there, but do you guys think I need to? If so where can I get a piece of glass that size where they would also bevel it so it's not sharp?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Next big planning question. I wanted to do a separate tank along side the main tank to house some mangroves and macro algae. I was planning on it being fed from the sump and gravity fed to the display tank. Lighting would be set on a reverse timer. The stand would be built to match the original with some book shelves. The questions I have are how big should it be? I was planning on using a 20L I have that's already drilled, but now I am thinking a 40 breeder to use as the mangroves grow to give them enough space. I'm thinking something like this

Is this a bad idea? It will also give me the space necessary for RO storage and my return pump as the sump leaves little to no room for an external pump. I will post pics of my actual progress this weekend.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I think its a great idea, macro tanks can be beautiful in their own right. Although with it on a reverse lighting schedule most people in the school will never get to see it lit up.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I was thinking I would have a small LED fixture to see the macros during the day and a MH with old bulbs to encourage growth in the evening.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
That should work good. Doing the refugium this way will really help illustrate how all these various biotopes work hand in hand to maintain one another imo