1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Quest Library Rebuild!

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by MuralReef, Apr 24, 2018.

1. drod303

drod303 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

That's amazing, actually have this tank on my wish list for bonus time :)

MuralReef likes this.
  2. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

It was purchased at Stone by Rob Mougey who runs CORAL. I’m not sure if the discounted additionally for the school or not but it was really all CORAL.

3. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Oh gotcha! Well that’s really amazing for rob to do that either way!

4. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

The system really is beautiful tank, stand, and sump! Should be looking at adding water soon.

5. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

That tank is going to look great in the library! Are you still planning to breakdown and replace the big tank in your classroom?

6. MuralReef

Thanks Neil! That tank has been ordered and is set to be delivered in June right before I go out of town. I will probably be looking at breaking that one down and swapping them out in July.

SkyShark and SynDen like this.
  7. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Mike, put me on the lost of people who can help with the transfer.

8. Jetman357

Jetman357 Copepod

I can give you a hand too Mike.

9. MuralReef

Thanks guys! I’ll post up a new build thread for the classroom tank closer to the arrival. I will keep you guys in mind!

10. MuralReef

I'll take a shot later of the tank with lights and sand. Rob brought by a pair of Gen 1 Radions to flank the AP700 at least that is the plan for now. I am also hoping to do a better aquascape this time. Any suggestions for a material to hold the rockwork together that can get wet? I am planning on glueing the rock together as I add it back to the tank. I don't want it to sit dry for an extended period of time.

11. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

2 part epoxy or the plastic balls they sell at BRS. I have heard very good things about the plastic balls.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MASC mobile app

12. MuralReef

Okay I stalled out. I am hoping to get wet this week, but actually have to go to school. I am thinking of doing a large reef structure on one side of the tank that gradually leads to a sand flat on the other side of the tank. I am left with only my Pygmy angel trio as ick has wiped everyone else out. Right now I am trying to think of what to use to get the rock to stick together. I had previously bought two part PC-11 epoxy, but it was too thin when mixed I may try it again though. Really prefer not to pay a premium for the plastic beads. As the tank stands I will be running two the AP-700 and 2 gen 1 Radions for light. I am not growing anything challenging or light demanding so these will work just fine for my purposes. Now I just need to figure out how to program the Radions.

13. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

If its dry rock you could always mortar with fiberglass rods. If its live you could still drill rods through and use 2 part epoxy as glue but not for strength. Fiberglass rods make all the difference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

14. MuralReef

Do this happened last Friday and I stopped in today and all was clear![​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

SynDen and SkyShark like this.
  15. MuralReef

The ATO tank is difficult to fill though. I’ll need to come up with a system.

16. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

What’s it look like? Just hard to pour in water to fill it up?

17. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Looks great, like the scape.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

MuralReef likes this.
  18. MuralReef

It sits on top of the sump and is gravity fed. So there might be 3-4” between it and the stand. Hard to fit a 5 gallon jug in there even with a spout.

19. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Wow! You are bringing some class now. Those Red Sea tanks are sexy but the ATO reservoirs are in a weird spot. Maybe drill it and have a float switch in it to fill it??? Maybe remove it and go with another external solution?

20. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

An ato for your ato!

Balz3352 likes this.