Reactor Pumps

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What do you all like for a reactor pumps? I am not a manifold guy - been there and did not like that. I am sick of Maxi Jets not lasting too long, although the cobalt ones are better. Anybody have anything that they like that is rock solid and will last for years and years? I am looking at some of the smaller Ehiems like the 1000 - any experiences?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
What about Rio pumps? I've been a manifold guy but think it might be time for a change.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Still using my 14 year old maxijet so I am now use, herd good things about masterflex pumps though.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My bad for not being more clear... I am talking about a phosban type reactor, not a CaRx. Sorry. I run my CaRx off of a tee from my return line.

I have a few kangaroos that I used to use, but too much gunk ended up in the CaRx whereas the tee typically keep the gunk in the line at higher volume. Anybody else around when Kangaroos were the best of the best?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;n665899 said:
What about Rio pumps? I've been a manifold guy but think it might be time for a change.
Have Rios changed or gotten better? I never found them all too reliable in the past. They used to be filled with oil and would crash tanks when they sprung a leak - I know that they fixed that, but I have been scared of them. I can check them out if you think that they are reliable.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
jda123;665906 said:
Have Rios changed or gotten better? I never found them all too reliable in the past. They used to be filled with oil and would crash tanks when they sprung a leak - I know that they fixed that, but I have been scared of them. I can check them out if you think that they are reliable.
Didn't know about that. I've just had them last for a long time. I couldn't say.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sicce pumps have been on the up and up. And also Lifeguard Aquatics quiet ones are also pretty good. I have a Reef Octopus Varos 2 I am going to be trying on my ARID reactor so we will see how that goes.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thank you all.

I love Rainbow stuff and have had great results in the past, so I might try those. ...probably some Ehiems too. I am have not followed my own advice which is "I cannot afford cheap stuff" and have still been using maxijets... which is stupid.

A long time ago, Rio/Taam pumps would catch fire if used externally. If used internally, they would break a seal and leak oil into your tank. Pretty awesome stuff. This was probably late 1990s. I doubt that you have a pump that old, but you might want to check. I have no doubt that the newer models have fixed all of this.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Mine are all newer. The one that I currently use is only to fill RO for the library and when I mix salt water.