Reactor vs Dosing Pump

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just wondering what is better. A reactor or dosing pump.
More specifically a calcium reactor vs dosing calcium.....And go!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 100 total water volume system, and I dose. I don't think I'm in need of a calcium reactor quite yet. I use the BRS calcium mix, and it lasts a good amount of time...

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It all depends on the size of tank and amount of calcium being used by your corals. I have a large mainly sps tank with some huge clams. I run a reactor and drip kalk,and still my levels slowly drop over time

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
For a 55, I woukd just dose. I have a heavily stocked 125 and my calcium reactor is set about as loe as it can go.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
yup for a 55g just dose 2 part. Once you get in the 100g+ tanks then its time to consider that $300-$800 purchase of a calcium reactor.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cent36;330692 said:
Cool! Thanks for the info.
I did find a $80 reactor on ebay for up to a 75g tank....didn't buy it, just saw it.

I garentee that's just the chamber not any of the other equipment :p

you also need a pump for the chamber, CO2 regulator, CO2 tank, peristaltic pump to feed the reactor. and right there your looking at another $350+

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reactor will put trace elements into the water that dosing will not. You are basically melting coral skeleton, so you get everything that the coral used to make the skeleton. CaRx is an indispensable piece of equipment for the serious reefer, IMO... but they are not too cheap. You can typically get a whole setup for around $300 when somebody is getting out of the hobby.