Recharging your Di Resin

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Anyone tried this before? Kind of a process but looks like you could save a ton of money, depending on how often you replace your Resin. Think I will start saving my spent resin instead of throwing it away.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-09/nftt/

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I have 2-3 gallons worth I have been saving up but haven't ever done it

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Looks pretty simple just time consuming while you wait. Considering the expense and waste created by throwing it away it seems worth it.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Agreed, especially since my Di resin consumption is about to increase dramatically
Prolly doesnt make much sense for smaller tank setups, but for large tanks that use 100's of gallons of RODI regularly, I could see it making quite an impact.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would have to agree with SynDen as it is way to time consuming for me with a smaller tank. However, if I had a large tank and extra time I think I would try it.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did it when we lived in Missouri and tap water was 450 TDS. It is a huge pain - I felt like I needed a old, broke down RV to drive to the desert like Water White and Jesse in Breaking Bad. It was more cost effective to get a RO unit with a few high rejection membranes and really focus on keeping the blocks clean/changed. Now that we live here, I have not gone through a single cylinder of DI in over five years, but 23 TDS tapwater with no chloramines makes it a lot easier.

Roscoe

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
While on the di subject. Has anyone used brs di resin? And another question. What are you guys readings after membrane

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Oh man, I wish I got 23 TDS from the tap, mine runs around 285 I think, although no chlormines either. I change my carbon and sediment filters about 6 times before the Di though.

Ya I use brs Di resins and have worked great for me. Mine currently read 0 after the membrane, if it gets to 3 I change the carbon and sediment filters, which generally puts it back to 0. When it doesnt I change the DI too