Red Ruby Dragonet Dance...need some advice please

Hi...As you can see these two are dancing away. I would love to be able to capture the larva, eggs, etc. This something I have never done before, I just got the male dragonet last week had the female for a while. This past week I noticed they do this every night 3 or 4 times before the lights go off.
Any help is much appreciated! Thanks Cindy

[video=youtube_share;2Tg5oL1ix7E]http://youtu.be/2Tg5oL1ix7E[/video]

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sadly you will be way ahead of the curve if you're successful with this. I think only ORA has successfully bred mandarin dragonets...but not ruby reds. The "scooters" are apparently more difficult

Last edited by a moderator:

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;314529 said:
Sadly you will be way ahead of the curve if you're successful with this. I think only ORA has successfully bred mandarin dragonettes...but not ruby reds. The "scooters" are apparently more difficult

they have bred them its just not reliably enough to say they can sell them :p

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Yes, sadly unless you feel you are fairly good at breeding fish and want to give them a try, I would say just let the fry become food for the tank. But always kewl to see thing in the tank getting along the way you want.

Check out the Marine Breeding initiative. mbisite.org. I know they definitely have info on other dragonet species. If it's been done (or attempted) by a hobbyist, the MBI probably has info on it.