Baby fish in my tank..now what?

cubuffs

Cleaner Shrimp
Hello,

I purchased some corals and live rock from a few local reefers and I have noticed about 10-20 baby fish swimming in my nano now. The biggest one is about a millimeter big and the smaller ones are about half the size. They are clear in color and very skittish.

I only have one clownfish that I got about 2 months ago. I have been watching them for two weeks now and I want to see them grow. What would be the best steps to take next?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Food would be the first thing. Since you dont know what they are, you'll have to guess. You need small live food, so rotifers, and baby brine shrimp would be good ones to start with.
Other clown 'may' eat them too, so may want to move them to a separate tank with just a sponge filter and a heater.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm pretty sure the male fertilizes the egg after the female deposits them on the rock.... Not sure you'd have baby clowns with only the 1 fish in the tank.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Likely was eggs already laid on the rock he got and they hatched. Not your usual hitchhiker for sure

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Like Synden said. Need to feed, and feed as soon as possible. like tomorrow. Rotifers take awhile, so suggest trying fresh hatch baby brine. Only takes 24 hours to hatch in 78 degree water. Salt lake BBS eggs have smaller nepuli, and I have some if you want some. I am located in Thornton.

cubuffs

Cleaner Shrimp
No, I do have a few pods too which were also hitch hikers. Should I remove the pods? All I have in my 8 gallon is a cleaner shrimp, clown, and a few snails and crabs.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
;)No pods are good