Red Sea Reefer XXL 625 - Cherub

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kessil is probably a good call on the fuge. You can always dial it down if need be. If found roughly 10% lumens to fuge strikes a good balance of power usage to low algae growth, so with 3 hydras 50% on that light would probably be your sweet spot.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;n674666 said:
Kessil is probably a good call on the fuge. You can always dial it down if need be. If found roughly 10% lumens to fuge strikes a good balance of power usage to low algae growth, so with 3 hydras 50% on that light would probably be your sweet spot.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
The other light was Kessil too just the small one. This new one is pretty big, I doubt I will have it up higher than 10% for a while lol. Event that maybe a bit much. Thanks for the reply

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello people, it's time for a minor update.

I ended up swapping out the Reef Octopus for a Vertex skimmer. I wasn't sure if the octopus was going to be enough and figured I'd change that now before the tank is set up. The Vertex is much better quality, it's massive too in comparison to the Reef Octopus.

My tank came in last week finally, however, I was on vacation and haven't had it delivered yet. Cris Capp will be bringing it over on Monday, eclipse day. Hopefully it's not an omen lol. He and his crew already assembled it. He sent me a couple of pics which I will post below. I can't believe it's time already! I've been wanting a new build for a long time. This is a pinch me moment for me lol.

Guess I need to start working on my rock work! I've been slacking on it but it's time lol. More updates coming...

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
God, that is a sexy tank! :drool:

Vance

Angel Fish
Was awesome meeting you Gabe! Hope that beast is everything you've been looking for! I love the red seas, and the reefers are in a class all their own!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Vance;n675928 said:
Was awesome meeting you Gabe! Hope that beast is everything you've been looking for! I love the red seas, and the reefers are in a class all their own!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Thanks and it was nice meeting you too! I'm glad I went with you guys for my order. The tank will certainly work for me, hopefully for years to come :) Cheers!

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kind of late for posting this but I ended up going out. I threw the Hydras in the tank and the Kessil in the sump to get an idea of the lighting. The skimmer fit like a charm, yay :) I was worried since it has such a large footprint and I wanted to be able to have a larger refugium. The sumps that come with the XXL Reefers have refugiums and they are adjustable to fit larger skimmers but of course if you get a large skimmer the fuge will suffer for it.

The light spread looks like it will be pretty nice using a Hydra 52 HD in the middle and 2 Hydra 26 HD's on the ends. The tank came with 3 26's and I will use the third one on a frag tank I set up in the basement. Maybe I will post pics of that once it's all set up.

Here are a couple of pics for now. I will throw the rock in tomorrow and see how it looks. I am still waiting on a plumber and have had terrible luck with that. I think I finally found one to install a laundry sink, then I can finally make my water and start filling it. He comes Thursday so wish me luck. I am waiting on a controller still too. I have a RKL to hold me over at least. I was initially going with the GHL but I returned it as I want to try the new eKoral. They start selling it this month at MACNA then the webstore should have it according to their customer service.

On a final note for tonight I just wanted to give Cris and his crew at Aquatic Arts a shout out and props. They did a great job building my stand and delivering the tank with out a hitch. They are awesome to work with. If you need a new aquarium I highly recommend calling Aquatic Arts. Thanks a million Cris!

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Small update. I got some of my rock work in and it takes up a ton of space. I need to figure out how to squeeze some more in lol. Got water in the tank and it's finally cycling. Mounted the lights using the AI HMS 2 arm solution. I bought a hanging kit but decided I didn't like the idea of my lamps hanging over the water so I went with the 2 arm solution. Tell me what you think, should I redo the rock work, add more or just throw more in the sump?

**edit** I am not keeing those small rubble pieces in it, I was using those to aquascape and hold things together.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4370\/36482747200_fb3473e24d_k.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.DiSilicate;n676241 said:
I don't see any pics of rock work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
really? It's on my screen. weird. I'm on the normal website though not an app or anything

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;n676242 said:
I think it looks good have a high area for sps and lower for lps
I ended up adding more rock lol
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4332\/36050261394_a1e4a936e8_k.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I also added a couple of dead shrimp and a bottle of bacteria. I ordered a single shrimp and the guy at the sprouts counter felt sorry for me and gave me 2 lol

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;n676254 said:
Doesn't show up for me on tapatalk
not sure how I can fix the pictures for tapatalk. I'm not entirely sure why someone would use such a buggy app in the first place when you can get full webpages on phones and tablets. I have no issues with masc or r2r on my phone using the browser. r2r even suggests not using tapatalk

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;676273 said:
not sure how I can fix the pictures for tapatalk. I'm not entirely sure why someone would use such a buggy app in the first place when you can get full webpages on phones and tablets. I have no issues with masc or r2r on my phone using the browser. r2r even suggests not using tapatalk
That's because r2r wants you to use their app! I agree but it is convenient to have all my forums in one place.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
No, their pages are fully responsive and optimized for mobile. Its the xenforo platform and xenforo is not compatible with taptalk because their platform works better ;)

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
ah ok well yeah i use a pc and the pics are hosted on flickr and I see them just fine. What can I do to make it visible to all?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I would guess that its that taptalk wont display images over a certain size, which is smaller then many of the images on the board, so taptalk just fails to load them

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello all

I just wanted to submit a quick update for the tank. I am going through the diatom phase and it seems to be dying down already. I used live sand and Fritzyme bacteria so it shouldn