Regenerating GFO

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I read a thread on Reef Central on regenerating GFO. Here is my summary and what I personally do.

The method in brief involves: 1) an overnight soak of used gfo in vinegar to remove accumulated calcium carbonate precipitant, and then following a thorough rinse with fresh water (not RO/DI); 2) a 5 day soak with occasional stirring in a lye solution (sodium hydroxide NaOH)

I use High Capacity GFO from BRS. The normal stuff turns to mush when I tried to regenerate it. 1 gallon of solution treats 1 cup of high capacity GFO, I regenerate 3 cups at a time in a 5 gal bucket; normally 2 buckets at a time.

From research, and believe me I'm not a chemist, 1/2 cup (160g) NaOH in one gallon of water makes a 1molar NaOH solution. So add 3 gal of RO/DI water, and 1 1/2 cups of sodium hydroxide, and 3 cups of spent GFO. The water will get really warm so if you don't use a bucket, be careful. Stir several times a day. I use a plastic PVC pipe to stir and place the bucket(s) in the garage where every time I come and go with the car, I give it a stir. After 5 days, the water is rust colored, and dispose where it's safe. I use as a weed killer or simply down the drain. You can use baking soda to neutralize it if you so desire. I rinse the regenerated GFO 3-4 times in RO/DI water and store wet.

The process is easy and works. Just be cautious as lye can burn you wet or dry. I've regenerated GFO over 5 times over. That's a lot of money saved. You can get a 2lb container of sodium hydroxide food grade powder for about $10. I got mine from AAA chemicals an online vendor. Besides whatever I don't use will make an excellent drain cleaner.

I do need to order more lye so if interested, maybe we can do a group buy..

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone have a different perspective? Does anyone else regenerate thier GFO?

Nice write up! You might be able to market that drain cleaner to get free GFO in the long run, lol. I wish I had something constructive to add since I barley do anything in my small tank but I like and had to comment on the environmentally safer weed killer/ drain cleaner vs harsh bleaches and pesticides. Plus your tank looks awesome so it must be working.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Didnt know you could recycle your GFO, might have to try that since the stuff is so expensive. Thanks for info