Kchristensen8064's Build-off competition entry.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So here it is, my build off tank build thread. I am doing a 30 gallon oceanic cube. I have decided on a 150w halide with 2x24watt actinic, that I have also retrofitted some blue LED's to for a little more pop. This will be my first experience with halides so I'm looking forward to learning what I can from this experience. My plan was to go with a higher budget on the build itself over inhabitants. I wanted it to look good as well as try and make it as reliable as possible. My thought was that if I'm having equipment issues then fish and coral would be more of a problem. My equipment will be listed in the next post on my thread as well as the price I paid for everything so far. As for my stocking plan. I am planning on 2 or 3 fairly inexpensive fish, these were the ones I had thought about: Royal Gramma, Fire Fish, and maybe a Possum Wrasse. For coral, I am going to go with a simple mixed reef with mostly beginner corals. Everything from leathers, zoas, mushrooms, torches, hammers, montis, some easier sps, maybe a RFA or two, etc... You get the idea. I have always liked a good mix of everything.

I will be starting completely dry. Rock and substrate are dry. This will make the cycle take a little longer but one thing I've learned in this hobby is that taking your time is the way to go. To start the cycle I will probably just go the raw shrimp route. Sorry @Andrew_bram the wife and kids won't let me pee in it! I bought a smart power strip that I will be using as a phone controlled light timer. I don't have a place in the sump designated for macro of any sort so I'm going to go with marine pure balls to increase surface area for bacteria in hopes of not needing any sort of macro for nutrient export. I'm going to go with a crushed coral substrate due to sand storm experiences in my other tank. This will allow me to get max flow if needed without worrying about it getting blown around everywhere. Here are a few pictures of it just sitting in its corner waiting to be plumbed and and set up. I will add more photos as it comes together once we are able to get these things started. View attachment 14521 View attachment 14522 View attachment 14523 View attachment 14524

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Equipment & price sheet.

Oceanic 30 gallon cube. (used) $20
Bought from Whyamisofly on MASC

Icecap 15 sump. (used) $100
Bought from Opakapaka on MASC

Aqua Medic 1x150watt 2x24watt light. (used) $80
Bought from JuanGutz on MASC

Hydor smart level ATO w/pump. (used) $40
Bought on Craigslist

Eshopps PSK-75 skimmer. FMV-$75
Trade from Halmus on MASC

Custom overflow made by Octo aquatics. $75
Bought on R2R

Ista Vortex Water Flow Accelerator. $12.99
Bought on saltwaterfish.com

Gulfstream Mag Float. $13.99

Lifegard Aquatics Standard Threaded Bulkhead - 1". $4.99

Lifegard Aquatics Standard Threaded Bulkhead - 1/2". $4.49

Cobalt Accu Therm 200 Watt Heater. $31.36

Two Quart Box - 1 1/2” Spheres Ceramic Biomedia - Marine Pure. $28.99
Bought at BRS

1" Thread Low Profile Strainer - Lifegard $3.49
Bought at BRS

1/2" x 46" Blue Schedule 40 Pipe $9.99
Bought at BRS

1" x 46" Blue Schedule 40 Pipe $12.99
Bought at BRS

1/2” Schedule 80 Union Slip x Slip $3.99
Bought at BRS

1” Schedule 80 Union Slip x Slip $4.99 x 2
Bought at BRS

200 gallon box of instant ocean salt $32.99
Bought on Amazon.com

Rio 2100 return pump (used) $15.00
Bought on Craigslist

Geeni smart power strip. $28.88
Bought on homedepot.com

1" PVC T. $1.79
Bought at Ace Hardware

1" PVC 45° elbow. $1.14 x 2
Bought at Home Depot

1" PVC cap. $1.29
Bought at Ace Hardware

½" PVC street elbow. $1.14
Bought at Home Depot

½" PVC 45° elbow. $.85 x 2
Bought at Home Depot

Power Strip $3.47
Bought at Walmart

Dry rock $1.00/lb x 28lbs
Bought on Craigslist

Inkbird temp controller. $18.89
Bought on Amazon.com

Hydor Koralia Nano 425. $15.00
Bought from Andre on MASC

Spears ½" union check valve. $22.93
Bought at BRS

Crushed coral (used) 20lbs. FMV-$10.00
Donated by Djmm1177

36" of 1" white PVC. $2.51
Bought at Home Depot

Coral

Duncan coral. $10.00
Bought at ReefStock

Painted war coral. $10.00
Freebie from IUFan on MASC

Neon green trumpet coral. $5.00
Bought on Craigslist

Blue mushroom. $5.00
Bought on Craigslist

Orange mushroom. $10.00
Freebie from Biggs Lagoon

Neon green cabbage leather. $20.00
Traded with Djmm1177

Fire and ice zoas. $10.00
Fragged from my other tank

Hollywood stunner chalice. $10.00
Donated by Djmm1177

Coraline algea (fine branching) $2.50
Half order from liveplants.com

Purple frilly gorg. $12.00
Bought on liveplants.com

Livestock

Clean up crew. $34.05
Bought on Reefcleaners.org
-32 dwarf ceriths
-10 nassarius
-9 nerites
-8 assorted hermits

Firefish. $19.70
Bought at Alpine Koi

Royal Gramma. $26.24
Bought at Neptune's

Yellow Watchman Goby and
Tiger Pistol Shrimp pair. $29.40
Bought at Aquatic Art

Emerald crab. $5.00
Bought on Reefcleaners.org

Total - $922.01

Last edited by a moderator:

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Love the stand, looks great!
Thanks. I got the wood from work. One of the few benefits of working for a hardwood door company. That was some old hickory base board we had laying around for a couple of years, I glued it up into panels. I've been debating with myself on whether or not I should add a shelf around the top.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well after some research on availability and pricing on the Possum Wrasse, it is definitely out. It'll blow my budget and they don't seem too available either. I'm thinking about maybe a barnacle blenny or a blenny of some sort. Anyone have any experience with a barnacle blenny or another blenny that would be good in a 30 cube? Maybe a tailspot...

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The second I got home from ReefEd I got going on getting everything in the stand and in place. I did my best on wire management. I got most of the plumbing and rockscape done . Here's some pictures of the both. I really like what came of the rockscape but I also got a barnacle cluster that came with my rock that I would love to work in somewhere but I'm really struggling with where I would fit in with everything else. View attachment 14534 View attachment 14535 View attachment 14536 View attachment 14537 View attachment 14538 View attachment 14539 View attachment 14540 View attachment 14541

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Amazing start! Have you been cycling the rock?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Amazing start! Have you been cycling the rock?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado
I had it cycling since I pulled the rock from my 180 build live rock bin that I have been cycling since last summer. I pulled it out a couple of months ago and let it dry back out. I got it dry for a $1/lb and in order to save on the budget I decided to not let it continue to cycle. It would have doubled my cost to $2/lb to use it cycled.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey slow down and let the rest of us catch up! Haha j/k it looks great. Isn't it fun to kick off a build after months of planning and gathering of equipment?

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey slow down and let the rest of us catch up! Haha j/k it looks great. Isn't it fun to kick off a build after months of planning and gathering of equipment?
Yes! I've been dying to get the plumbing done, figure out rockscape, get it wet and get it all fired up. I'm actually headed to home depot now for what has to be my 4th plumbing run. I always forget something!

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, while I'm waiting for everything to cycle, I think I've got my fish stock list figured out. Please let me know if you see any issues with this grouping. I found a good deal online for all of them and it would include free shipping. I plan to let it cycle until I get back from vacation on June 18th. Does anyone think it would cause me any problems if I add them all at once?

1. Firefish ✔️
2. Royal Gramma ✔️
3. Yellow Watchman Goby ✔️

I'll do a clean up crew of hermits and snails and I think I'll do a scarlet cleaner shrimp.