Reproducing Peppermint Shrimp

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I have got to ask. Has anyone ever had their Pep Shrimp reproduce in an aquarium?

I added three and now we have the three and have found four small shrimp in the tank.

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Dunno they look just light peps, I will try to take ap picture of them tonight when I get back home.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Here is a crappy pic of one of the small ones. I don't think it's a mysid shrimp.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
There are many sites stating successful breeding of peps. At first I thought the same until I actually looked into it more. The bigger they get the more they look like pep shrimp though. Time will tell, I will probably eat my own words though.

I had peppermint shrimp reproducing in my coral tank at my shop in 2012 through 2013. I had a small survival rate but still was able to sell a few every now and than. My coral tank was set up more like a refugium with several types of live plants and a huge amount of different types of pods in it. I never tried to do anything special for them, but again did have a small survival rate. So I wouldn't be able to answer what kept a few to reach adults, but that being said I'd say it's very possible that some could survive in a tank under right conditions. They are being tank bred by some company's, but again not sure if they're producing enough to be commercially available on a regular bases. Best of luck to you that they are peppermint shrimp!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe it is. Time will tell... if it is red as they get bigger, then you are good to go. It is not impossible, just not likely.