RKL+ALC+Kessil a360w+SPS

Sour137

Cleaner Shrimp
So after what I have read in this thread, can I even keep high light demand corals such as acropora, stylophora, and pocillopora with my Kessils? These are the corals that I really want to keep eventually, and I would be disappointed if my Kessils will simply not put out enough light to grow them and keep them healthy. I'm not too concerned about rate of growth as the plan is to keep this tank going until I finish college, and then transfer everything to a larger tank once I get a well paying job. I jut simply want to know if I can even keep them alive.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I think this is a fairly new set up isn't it? My thought would be that the tank just might not be "mature" enough. Defining maturity is a vague science at best...(some say a year, some say 2 years, some say 5+), but there just seems to be something about SPS in brand new setups....just a thought, not saying there is a right way and wrong way to go about it.

Sour137

Cleaner Shrimp
Well this tank began cycling in January. I began stocking 14 weeks ago. Even after adding the anthias and the large amount of food they need I didn't notice any ammonia spikes. So the biologic filter is there.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That very well could be the problem. I had a heck of a time even with montipora until my tank hit the year mark even with perfect parameters (although I didn't have a phosphate test at the time so that could have been high and likely was).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That was one year after I moved a cycled and lightly stocked tank to a new house and added 30lbs of cured live rock to the 30 lbs I had before the move. Never had an issue with RTN just no growth until about the year mark. When I did have problems with RTN later (tank probably 2.5 to 3 years old at that point) once was due to flatworms and the other time was high phosphates.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.