RO/DI Water - Question

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 5 stage RO/DI system from Bulk Reef that runs 24x7 and fills up a rubbermaid 30g can. I have had it for a couple of years and I have a dual inline TDS meter. The reading on the meter is about 41 going in and 0 coming out. I have a pump in the bottom of the can with a tube coming out that I use to pump water out. It is in there all the time.

The question is about the resulting water. When I grab the tube to pump the water out, it feels slippery. Is that normal?

Thanks, John

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Every once in a whole you need to give your holding tanks a vinagwr bath and rinse them out. Even with no tds water your still going to get contaminants in it!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, after time mold and bacteria can still find its way into those containers. That sliminess is most likely a bacteria bio-film coating your tubing and the bucket. By running the water through the RO/DI, you strip chlorine out of the water...which is added by the water treatment plant to keep bacteria from growing.

I rotate buckets for my RO/DI and each 4-6 weeks one just sits in the sun for a couple days to kill anything in there, then gets a good rinse. A good vinegar bath, as Craig suggested, is probably an even better option. But yea...once you get that film going it's time for a cleaning.