RODI growing algae

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have my own suspicions but I thought I would ask....

I have been unable to do my weekly water change for about 2.5 weeks. The tank has been looking great and nuisance algae has been practically nonexistent. I typically have been doing 20-25% water changes weekly.Since I have a pretty good fish load and I dont dose much more than calcium I figured I really needed to do a water change.
Yesterday (last night) I was able to change out 10g of water in my 90g tank with a 20g (actual water volume) sump. So basically a 10% water change.
I currently use Instant Ocean salt, (although I am wanting to switch over to possibly Reef Crystals or other salt more formulated towards reefs).
I got home tonight and my front and side glasses were coated in green algae. For the last 1.5 weeks I have been amazed at the lack of green film algae on the glass and rocks. I have been doing large weekly water changes because of the algae issue...thinking it was a build up of nitrates. But after this "lengthy" lack of doing water changes and my decrease in algae I am coming to different conclusions.
Recently I asked about places to buy RODI H2O because I thought an out break of cyano in both mine and my girlfriends tank (at different houses, and maintained with different equipment) was to blame on the current place I buy water from.
And now this.
My thought is that the water I am currently getting is not being filtered as much as it could be...that the filters are in need of being changed. And that when I have been doing water changes I have been "dosing" phosphates or? into my system with every water change.
Does this seem accurate or is there another cause that I am not aware of?
Why would water changes with supposed RODI water cause an algae bloom? Unless it wasn't pure.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you are on the right track, sounds like a water issue to me also.

Ask to see the tds meter every time you buy water. If it's above 0 or they refuse to show you then stop getting water from them. Your paying for premium water, you should be getting premium water.

I would invest in a RO/DI unit though, it's probably one of the best investments in the hobby Imo.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys for the responses.
Yeah I was thinking it may very well be the water source.

I do have the following salt tanks set up:
90g reef
57g reef
125g fish...soon to be 'fuge to my 90g
55g QT
37g Nem tank on the way.

I would really like to find a 5 or 6 stage. I have been looking at those from BRS. If I am going to get one I want it to be the most complete as I can afford...even if I can't.:)
It may be time to sell the 55g set up for H2O.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
deboy69;185048 said:
Nice got my 6 stage setup last week.
Sweet,That's awesome.

CRW Reef;185049 said:
Nice buy Mike, will save you hundreds of dollars and time.
Yeah Will (and Kris) at Premier hooked me up with this one, and no more buying crappy water from that one LFS! I am excited about it.

joeMASC

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've already seen mine pay for itself in water and gas costs, not even considering the time saved. I just added an auto shutoff valve to my system I got from BRS. I couldn't be happier now that I have that on there. No more forgetting I left the RO running (more than once), no more not having water ready because I didn't have the RO on. Now when I take out even a just little to mix food with, the valve works and it fills right back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.