ROWA Phos vs. other GFO

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Just curious what you guys think is the extra expense of using ROWA Phos worth it or do you have another brand of GFO that give you reliable results?

Bdk1786

Butterfly Fish
My only experiences come from TLF GFO and ROWA. About the only thing I noticed was the larger capacity of the ROWA vs. TLF. The biggest downside to ROWA is how fine the grain size is. I've gone from double filter pads(clogged up over time) in my reactor to just a super fine mesh bag to hold the ROWA.

I would be curious to see how this stacks up to BRS high cap GFO or other brands. My ROWA is almost out and will be shopping soon.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I ran out and I am wondering if it is worth the extra $30-40 for the ROWA. I tend to buy in bulk.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I bought Rowa at first when I started the tank, but didnt see any difference between rowa and BRS gfo

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
According to RHF, there are only two sources for GFO in the world - both make normal and high capacity. Normal from any source is the same and the high capacity from any source is the same. Other than this, it is marketing.

The ROWA is the high capacity.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
jda123;669128 said:
According to RHF, there are only two sources for GFO in the world - both make normal and high capacity. Normal from any source is the same and the high capacity from any source is the same. Other than this, it is marketing.

The ROWA is the high capacity.
I knew you would have some words of wisdom! Thanks Doug!

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use ROWA for applications where there is a high amount of Phosphates. After the levels get to maintainable then I go to the brs regular GFO.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Vince has this right. High capacity for real big problems and normal for maintenance. If normal folks use the high capacity all the time, it can calcify, clog and otherwise get thrown away before it is full... wasted.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
jda123;669189 said:
Vince has this right. High capacity for real big problems and normal for maintenance. If normal folks use the high capacity all the time, it can calcify, clog and otherwise get thrown away before it is full... wasted.
I had that happen recently and didn't know what happened or that it did happen. It was almost a solid block.