Salt Analysis

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey there reefers,
I'm sure you guys have seen this on ReefCentral before, but I just wanted to post it here for future reference. The data is slightly dated at 2008, but I figure most producers aren't apt to changing their formulas, so I've cleaned it up a bit so it's a bit more clear for interpretation, but it's pretty much a standard cut and paste. Again, this is not my data, just passing the info along:

[TABLE="align: center"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]
Calcium
[/TD]
[TD]
Alkalinity
[/TD]
[TD]
Magnesium
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Aquatic Gardens
[/TD]
[TD]430

[/TD]
[TD]8

[/TD]
[TD]1240

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Brightwell Neomarine

[/TD]
[TD]370

[/TD]
[TD]11

[/TD]
[TD]1140

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]CoraLife
[/TD]
[TD]560

[/TD]
[TD]9

[/TD]
[TD]1380

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Crystal Sea Marinemix

[/TD]
[TD]340

[/TD]
[TD]9

[/TD]
[TD]1050

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Crystal Sea Marinemix Bio-Assay

[/TD]
[TD]340

[/TD]
[TD]9

[/TD]
[TD]1050

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]D-D H2Ocean

[/TD]
[TD]450

[/TD]
[TD]10

[/TD]
[TD]1380

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Instant Ocean (new)

[/TD]
[TD]400

[/TD]
[TD]11

[/TD]
[TD]1350

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kent

[/TD]
[TD]540

[/TD]
[TD]11

[/TD]
[TD]1200

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Marine Environment

[/TD]
[TD]480

[/TD]
[TD]7.5

[/TD]
[TD]1450

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Oceanic
[/TD]
[TD]580

[/TD]
[TD]8.5

[/TD]
[TD]1650

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]OceanPure

[/TD]
[TD]510

[/TD]
[TD]10

[/TD]
[TD]1320

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Red Sea

[/TD]
[TD]400

[/TD]
[TD]8

[/TD]
[TD]1300

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Red Sea Coral Pro

[/TD]
[TD]490

[/TD]
[TD]7

[/TD]
[TD]1300

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Reef Crystals (new)

[/TD]
[TD]490

[/TD]
[TD]13
[/TD]
[TD]1440

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Reefer's Best

[/TD]
[TD]420

[/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]1200

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]SeaChem Marine Salt
[/TD]
[TD]500

[/TD]
[TD]10

[/TD]
[TD]1400

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]SeaChem Reef Salt
[/TD]
[TD]540

[/TD]
[TD]10

[/TD]
[TD]1450

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tropic Marin
[/TD]
[TD]375

[/TD]
[TD]10

[/TD]
[TD]1230

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tropic Marin Pro Reef

[/TD]
[TD]450

[/TD]
[TD]8.5

[/TD]
[TD]1380

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tunze Reef Salt
[/TD]
[TD]420

[/TD]
[TD]9.5

[/TD]
[TD]1350

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I switched from Instant Ocean reef crystals to the SeaChem reef salt mix about 8 weeks ago. The coral growth and color since then is great. And, as a plus, it takes less salt to get to 1.026

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;290267 said:
At least 1/3 of those have changed since 2008....maybe half.
Well... damn. So much for that set of numbers.

Okay then, I'll see what I can do to update the data!

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
It appears that I've given myself quite the endeavor trying to find all of the data. I'll get it all (with citations to references used), but it's going to take me a few days to gather all the info, plus there is an issue with accuracy (see below). There are lots of discussion this subject on the ReefCentral forums on sea salt composition, but it's dated around the same period as the chart (the chart is actually the most recent full data sheet that I can find). There was discussion of using a aquarium water testing company to do the experiment, but it got complicated when people started getting political/shifty about what companies to use, etc.

I'm beginning to wonder if this a futile attempt, as salinity and chemical precipitation are temperature dependent, so even if I do find the data I'm looking for, the testing parameters could vary to some degree, giving inconclusive or erratic results. If I were able to test every salt using standards and controls (temp, TDS, pH, mixing times, etc.) for the experiment, I could get satisfactory test results. Looks like it will take a few individuals or volunteers to gather the supplies and resources for that to be accomplished.

What would you guys like to see/what (info) would get value out of?

I'll go out on a limb on this one and say that the originally posted numbers can be used as generalized or suggested guidelines for Ca, dK and Mg concentrations in off the shelf sea salts, but are not intended to be specific or concrete data.

Matt_Arian;290377 said:
It appears that I've given myself quite the endeavor trying to find all of the data. I'll get it all (with citations to references used), but it's going to take me a few days to gather all the info, plus there is an issue with accuracy (see below). There are lots of discussion this subject on the ReefCentral forums on sea salt composition, but it's dated around the same period as the chart (the chart is actually the most recent full data sheet that I can find). There was discussion of using a aquarium water testing company to do the experiment, but it got complicated when people started getting political/shifty about what companies to use, etc.

I'm beginning to wonder if this a futile attempt, as salinity and chemical precipitation are temperature dependent, so even if I do find the data I'm looking for, the testing parameters could vary to some degree, giving inconclusive or erratic results. If I were able to test every salt using standards and controls (temp, TDS, pH, mixing times, etc.) for the experiment, I could get satisfactory test results. Looks like it will take a few individuals or volunteers to gather the supplies and resources for that to be accomplished.

What would you guys like to see/what (info) would get value out of?

I'll go out on a limb on this one and say that the originally posted numbers can be used as generalized or suggested guidelines for Ca, dK and Mg concentrations in off the shelf sea salts, but are not intended to be specific or concrete data.
You're right that this is a "generalized or suggested" guidelines for Ca, dK and Mg concentrations. Actually each "batch" made by a manufacture could and more likely dose vary in each "batch" made with ONLY a "generalized" guideline printed on their package. Only SeaChem Salinity (that I know of) actually prints the actual amounts in each "batch" produced on their product. jda123 is right that many have change since 2008 with the popularity of "reef and coral tanks" than JUST maintaining a "fish tank".