Salt mixing and its effects

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;227390 said:
ive used seachem, aquavitro, D&D, red sea, and a couple others... always with problems.... Once I switched to Microbe-Lift, all my problems went away... I have been using Microbe-Lift for few years now. I havent had problems with low alk, calc, or mag ever since i switched to ML either. Ive had consistent readings from bucket to bucket and never experienced any settling within a bucket...
where do you buy Microbe Lift?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fred, have you used Kent at all? I know for me personally, Kent is nice in that it's $40 for a 200g box. With the Microbe-Lift at $90 for 200g it's hard to want to switch over. Though I guess if you can mix it and have it be stable for a month or 2, then it's probably worth the extra cost.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;227380 said:
I really wonder if this happens with all salt. If that's the case then you can never truely have extra water on hand if you are making it, then using it right away. What if you needed to do a 50% water change ASAP, but then had to wait for your RO/DI to make that much water.
Well you could have plenty RO/DI on hand without having to wait for your filter to make that much water...just keep a full bin of RO at temp, then mix in the salt when it's needed.

Even so...in an emergency, I'd rather be able to just get going with the change and not wait for the salt to mix at all.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep. I'm hoping to find a good solution to store 30-50g of saltwater on hand. Then with an additional 15g of RO, I would have enough on tap for just about any situation.

I have thought of upgrading my system to a 300gpd system, just so I can make 100g of water in around 8 hrs. Would be nice if something catastrophic happened, clam going sexual, and you had to do multiple large water changes.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;227404 said:
Well you could have plenty RO/DI on hand without having to wait for your filter to make that much water...just keep a full bin of RO at temp, then mix in the salt when it's needed.

Even so...in an emergency, I'd rather be able to just get going with the change and not wait for the salt to mix at all.
My thought exactly. I can have all the RODI I want sitting there waiting, and add salt and a pump. No need to have it 'sit & spin' particularly if it means it might degrade.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depending on the salt, don't they recommend mixing for 24hrs? I know I didn't use to do that, but have been lately. I'll have to test my water that's been sitting with a power head for about a week now.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
you can buy microbe-lift at Great White Aquatics... one of the club sponsors...and right now there is plenty in stock.

I have used kent salt, it was nice only to pay $40 for a 200g box..... however..... i noticed with kent my alk was at 6dkh and that is way to low for me....the calc was around 350, and mag around 1100... all with salinity at 1.025 78F.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Salt mixing and its effects

And you can use Microbe-Lift right away.... I figure about a half hour to mix properly

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;227429 said:
And you can use Microbe-Lift right away.... I figure about a half hour to mix properly
Yea but what about us south guys In not driving to foco for salt lol

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
not sure.... ive never actually measured how much i get from it... always seemed to last about 2 months with 25g wc every week. once i got below a quarter bucket, id go get another one.