1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Say hello to my not so little friend... GIGAS CLAM

Discussion in 'Clams - bivalve molluscs' started by JoshHill83, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Do it! I think squamosa may be a bit easier to find and not as large in he end... they have incredible growth rates.

2. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I have not seen a Gigas for sale in years, except for this one. I have been looking - if somebody sees one, then let me know.

Squammy can be had in both blue and green and are great specimens - blue squamosa are a holy-grail clam for a lot of keepers.

MuralReef likes this.
  3. JoshHill83

JoshHill83 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

Do it! Just have some calcium and alkalinity ready to go!

4. JoshHill83

Mike Rice told me there was one for sale in boulder about 5 years ago, but that’s the last he knew of.

5. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I saw a few probably in 2015. They were blueish grey and nice. They were quickly gobbled up. Dr. Mac told me that he did not know of anybody who was farming them. They are not illegal to import, but I guess that finding them in the allowable size might be hard. Maybe there is some hope since I have seen Hippos for sale recently.

It seems like 5 years since that for-sale thread was up on the National board.

6. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Do you know if they are being farmed for food anywhere?

7. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod

I have a couple friends that work for Neptune saying the same thing. Look for it going on sale in Q3.

8. JoshHill83

As long as the Trident is available by the end of the year I’ll be happy. My calcium daily consumption has almost doubled. That was expected, but my water quality is also already visibly improved from the filtration that the clam provides.

SynDen and SkyShark like this.
  9. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod

That’s no joke. I’ve got another friend that’s got like 11 clams in his tank and doesn’t run a skimmer or any other filtration.

10. laufeyson

laufeyson Copepod

that think is amazing, how much was it?

11. JoshHill83

Too much...

12. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

6804E234-76E9-43B9-90A6-F13CD7469FF7.png Made a Instagram post!

13. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod

So how much of an increase did you see on your alk/Ca uptake?

14. JoshHill83

At this point in dosing 35ml of all and 80ml of calcium daily more than before. I’m using Red Sea, and sailfert test kits (1 of each) , along with Hannah checkers. I almost have it dialed in... it’s crazy!

15. JoshHill83

16. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod

That’s crazy. Entire tanks use that much.

Next time you get a chance can you get an updated pic?

17. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

That's actually not bad. I dose about 15ml in my 65 and most of my sticks are 1" frags.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

18. JoshHill83

EF8AADD5-2DEA-4338-9522-2E8E1E10D6F7.jpeg 681BCE6D-6606-45D9-8199-ABD19469E274.jpeg 7D65EDA5-1D37-4034-BFE6-FE07F314E66C.jpeg 847E55D8-BB1A-4D8B-9F6C-F05D28F1B959.jpeg Here’s a few pics from today. And a big shout out to Haddonisreef for having my back on Instagram!

19. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

20. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.