Scratched the poo out of my tank!

So awhile ago I was carrying some stuf by my tank and scratched the front of my tank pretty bad... So I did some research and found out that novus polish 3 and 2 will work the best so I ordered both and now it's sitting in front of me and the instructions say to just rub it on... Is that all I need to do? I thought I read that there was some sanding involved... Anyone have any experience with this? Maybe some tips or tricks with it?

I used an orbital sander when I used the novus, without the sander I couldn't get it to remove many scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Scratched the poo out of my tank!

Just making sure... This is acrylic right??!

sent from my EVO eater

master NooB;215443 said:
What grit sandpaper? Did you sand than apply novus?
I started with like 800 and went up to like 3000 grit, I was resurfacing the entire tank inside and out, first I sanded with a auto body repair sander then I used the novus and orbital sander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Scratched the poo out of my tank!

Haha. Just making sure that is the reason your not having issues.. seen it before. Lol. Yeah. Go with freedom. What I did to mine is when the tank is RUNNING and I also had fish in it,start with 800 and go up to 2000. Works wonders and will be better than brand new. The acrylic shavings will not hurt the fish.

sent from my EVO eater

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
start with the bottom inside and work your way up.....lol

So I do need to do the inside? Not trying to question you it just doesn't make sence why I would do anything to the inside if the scratches are on the outside

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
no, just deal with where the scratches are...my daughter worked on her tank and it had some pretty bad scratches, by the time she was through you couldn't tell it had ever been scratched.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not a hard fix, but it is very easy to make it a much, much bigger issue if you're not careful, especially with power tools. Seems there's been some threads over the past year on this.

How much scratching? If a few, you may want to just do sandpaper them by hand (buy a kit at a fish store, Neptune's has them) then finish with novus (3, 2, 1). If more than that, probably easiest to sand down the whole panel with a rotary tool then novus finish. Tom at Aquamart can sell you a pack of rotary pads for this (if you don't have access to auto shop tools and supplies).

I would follow this link (procedure and level of sandpaper to start). Also you can only jump 200-300 grit between steps (for example, if you need to start at 800, then you need to sand - 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2000). Do wet sanding, if possible.
http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/reference/aquarium-restoral.htm

I wouldn't do inside the tank unless you really need to. Mixed results, some people say you really need to drain the tank below the scratch then sand out carefully so acrylic shavings don't get in the tank.

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
She did the 3-2-1

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
actually if you have the 3 and 2 in front of you, try that first/now on the scratches. you've got nothing to lose, if they don't work then you'll have to sand anyway. you need a flannel or cotton to apply them, do not use wood based (paper towels etc). if you try once and don't see them come out, try again applying as much pressure and liberal coat as you can. if that doesn't work, you gotta sand...