Seneye release date?

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
So who has bought one so far? Thoughts?

How well does the PH the seneye recorded match up against your PH meter? I have heard a lot of discussion's over its accuracy.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
THe pH, mine pretty much doesnt change and says it at 8.5 something or other. I have a pinpoint (that hasnt been calibrated in over 18 months and it reads 8.15 to a high of 8.25)
I am still happy with the seney, as I bought it for the par meter, and am curious as to the digistrip which will do alk at some point. Its still a beta device.
Heres the answer I got on the ph from them:
"
The seneye device has beencalibrated for pH using a number of different methods. One of which wascomparisons with electronic pH probes. During this testing we have seendisagreements with electronic probes when used in aquarium water. Out of around£3000 worth of pH probes, one read high, one read lower and one did notstabilise at all – this was all based on known chemistry to establish the pH.We have come to the conclusion that this is down to the ionic strength of thewater. It is this ionic strength that creates the millivolt electrical chargedifference that pH probes use to make a reading. This strength can cause pHprobes to either read higher or lower than each other – it depends on which waythe are wired up. The seneye device works in a completely different way. It isan optical system that takes a digital reading of the colour change of theslide – the colour change of the slide is only dependent on the number ofhydrogen ions in the water. I hope that this explains why we feel that theoutput from the seneye is reliable and accurate."

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you been able to put it to the test up against another PAR yet?

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
No, checked against an ATI sunpower, readings didnt seem like complete BS. I still need to check against a PAR meter. Though with the underestimated blue I wonder which one would be right.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
andyrm66;129320 said:
No, checked against an ATI sunpower, readings didnt seem like complete BS. I still need to check against a PAR meter. Though with the underestimated blue I wonder which one would be right.
There should be some PAR numbers on ATI sunpower's already. Might need to search around and see how your readings compare. Will give you an idea atleast until you can compare directly with a PAR meter.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was reading a par reading thread, either luke33 fixtures or apollo can't remember, and they said that par readings can get skewed by; How the sensor is calibrated (electronic or sunlight), and by the waves on the surface. They manufacturer said that they now take all par readings out of water. They stated that it didn't really matter of the sensor was in water or out of water. I'll find the post and confirm. Any word on this though? I've heard of the calibration thing, but taking readings out of water....sounds fishy.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
The apogee (SP) meter does have quantum sensors that are for sunlight or electronic, and it is also known they favor red and underestimate blue spectrum by about 20%. From the numbers Ive seen with ATI's the meter is very close. We tested with the pumps on ripples on the surface. Reason being, I could care less how much par the sensor gets in the air, I want to know what the coral is getting in the tank it is coming from, so I can match that in my tank. I guess for the PAR numbers ****ing match having acurate numbers helps, I, just using for bulb to bulb to LED(someday) comparisons. Oh wait, we did test it right near the bulb, as grim reefer did, in air and they were very close, like 10%, granted the bulbs we were using were over a year old. Grims were new. So in that aspect, it was accurate. I know sanjay does his par readings in air, for good reason, hes measuing raw PAR to make fair comparisons between bulbs, Im trying to replicate par from tank to tank. Also notice how some lights, (led) are great at 0-6" but suck at the sand bed 24" away. But ATI for instance are more gradual, or a 400 MH have more punch.

Not saying measuring that way is wrong by any means, I see the varibles in the test, its just not what Im interested in when I go pick up a coral from a friend, or order a new 10k bulb and ditch my 20k. Different strokes. As for not making a differnce in air vs, there is quite a difference between light transmission via different mediums. Air is a lot cleaner than our water. LOL

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting that they are taking readings out of the water. It does help in making the reading standard across multiple platforms at least though.

Also, I have no problems with my LEDs at 24". They provide the same PAR as 400w MH bulbs from what I have compared to my readings so far.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Apollo Reef LED;803677 said:
Hi,

We used to do our PAR testing in live tanks but that is subjective. That results can be skewed by several factors.

1) Water quality

2) Water movement, ripples etc.

3) Leveling the sensor

Our past videos which are on our website and YouTube of our standard SolarBlasts were done in the water. Our results there did not move much from open air so the decision was made to do open air, its easier and more stable and consistent to reproduce.

Now, the bottom line is, the AI it was compared to was done the exact same way. Water or not the results are there as that was in open air as well. AI is a good unit, no doubt, there is plenty of documented reviews as there are of ours now. But again, the same test, same meter, theres your comparison.

Search for the reviews on Reef Central, R2R and other forums. Also search Apollo Reef LED on YouTube. Plenty of real life reviews and vids. Check our Featured Video in our gallery. Photo & Video Gallery | Apollo Reef LED
An Apollo customers tank loaded with SPS doing beautifullly. Our corals need water too :) The reviews you see is for our standard fixture, this is twice the PAR. Twice the power of the earlier versions and Ive seen those versions growing clams in 32" water with no issues!

Thanks , btw folks I apologize but I wont be here answering questions tonight or this weekend, I am attending a frag swap in Jersey and taking some much needed R&R Sunday. If anyone here is attending the swap stop by our table and say hello! I'll have the demo there!

Email us if you have more questions. Thanks

sales@apolloreefled.com
Found it, apollo on R2R

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
I agree that for raw numbers with the least amount of varibles is best for comparing lights. For me I could care less how 2 lights compare in air. I want to know what light my corals get, on whatever two lights Im comparing. Different wavelengths of light have different tranmission and absorption on rates in water vs air, ie red light. Say for instance, you make led fixtures for sale, and for whatever reason they have quite a bit of light in the red spectrum, a competing guy builds leds as well, bu with out the red. You test in water, yours read lower par, but in air, yours read more par (water absorbs red faster than other wavelengths). Thereby you now conduct all your testing in air.

By no means am I saying that aquarium products are tested to give favorable results, all Im saying is I like to know what par my corals recieve on one light vs another. Thats all.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;138892 said:
Anyone tired of thier Seneye yet? I'll trade you, Seneye for cash.
+1 ...pm us and see who is the biggest low baller :)