1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Size doesn't matter build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by TheRealChrisBrown, Feb 13, 2021.

1. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Tank is running! As of Friday evening. All of the salt is in. I ended up using about 75g of new RODI, and about 45g of water from current system. I added one of my 8x8x4 Marinepure blocks in along with some Microbacter7. It's currently running with 2 temporary heaters and holding around 74/75. I have 2 new Finnex Titanium heaters to add, but all of my heater controllers are currently in use.

The light is really nice! No canopy, and very little light spillage. My teenagers are amongst the most vocal when it comes to reef lights...and they haven't said anything! Obviously I can't comment on the light and corals or anything, since it is just lighting a box of water at the moment...but I'm optimistically excited.

The plan for this week is to let everything continue to run. The skimmer that came with the pnp system is up and running, so I'm hoping to get it broken in a little. On Saturday Feb 27th I'm going to move my rock and corals over. Then between Saturday and Sunday I believe all of my fish have found new homes! So it will be time to catch them and get them into the hands of their new owners. The new setup will run as a rock and coral only system until after spring break, that's when I will order the harem of clowns.

Oh and I ordered a narrow cabinet that will go between the aquarium and the brick mantle. This will add a little storage and house some electronics to keep it tidy and out of sight. It is bright white though...so I'm going to have to figure that out. The current vote in the house is to paint it a brown color as close as can be to the stand. But we'll see, might end up being an accent color or something. Anything but bright white!

I'll take more pics, but as of now it's just a box o' water.

ianryd and neil82 like this.
  2. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Big weekend! I am moving most of my rock and corals over, and all of my fish have found new homes. So the plan is to get everything settled, and then when we return home from spring break I'm going to order a harem of clowns.

Once everything settles down I will get some pictures up here. So EXCITED!

neil82 likes this.
  3. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

That’s exciting news!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  4. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

And I get to pick up my new powder blue this weekend!! So exciting. And the clown tank is super exciting too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown and MuralReef like this.
  5. Etoimos

Etoimos Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I'm really looking forward to your clown harem. I originally wanted to do that with my 60g when I first got into saltwater.

6. TheRealChrisBrown

58FB7215-4F7C-4D24-BEE0-1316A93A7841.jpeg

I think most everything is moved over, and I am beat!

7. TheRealChrisBrown

HUGE THANKS to @Djmm1177, @IUFan, @Terry Fox, and @Dr.DiSilicate for giving all of my fish wonderful homes! You guys are really taking a huge stress off of me in this whole process, and I can't thank you guys enough!

8. TheRealChrisBrown

9. Craigar

Craigar Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Looks amazing glad you got it all moved over

10. Etoimos

Etoimos Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Nice job man!

11. Terry Fox

Terry Fox Copepod

Great looking tank!
    Nice meeting you and thanks so much for the fish.

12. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Man how does that thing hold water.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

13. TheRealChrisBrown

Little bit of glass, little bit of silicone....put them all together in a pleasing fashion and that's how aquariums are made.

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  14. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Looks great buddy!

15. TheRealChrisBrown

Thank you, I'm really happy with it right now. I have some organizing to do, some stuff is just in there, kind of tossed in.

16. MuralReef

Yeah we all do that though!

17. TheRealChrisBrown

It kind of feels like a tank set up for MACNA or something, like one for a big show. Just add a ton on corals and keep it looking good for a few days....hopefully this won't come crashing down on me in a few days/weeks!

18. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Once it grows in it will be gravy.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

19. TheRealChrisBrown

My wife took this picture and texted it to her parents who haven’t seen the new tank yet. Ten days after moving everything over:

71AEC1C0-B7F1-46F4-8602-A69ED673753B.jpeg

Angelo, Cherub and neil82 like this.
  20. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

tank is looking amazing!