Skimmer overflowed

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the skimmer overflowed into the sump last night. Will there be any ill effects. Today is water change day do will be doing a 20 gallon water change. Do I need to do a double change.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you keep your skimmer cleaned every day or two, there shouldnt be that much skimmate to effect anything. Why did it overflow? Did you feed heavy or dose something?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nope tried keeping my dam hands out of the tank. Lol . Would skimmer being blocked cause that to happen. I have no idea if it is but if needed can clean while skimmer today.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
i have a preditor tank and for some reason they love to eat next to the overflow, so needless to say they dirtyness of the preidtors goes straight to the filter and skimmer. if i dont clean it when it needs ( i usually check it every day). but a few times i have forgotten and it over flowed back into the tank. when this happens it makes the water look green and alge grows faster, imo its like putting a concentrated dose slime and smellyness into the tank. other than making my weekly maintenance smellier and harder. i havent seen any "destruction" from it. although you dont want that that stuff hitting your tank for a long period of time it shouldnt be a problem for a short period.

also what is the consistancy of your skimmate? soupy watery or sludge...lol....

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;267575 said:
Dark but thin.
shouldnt see much of a difference depending on how long it over flowed you may see a small spike in parameters (i personally wouldnt worry about that unless you see physical evidence of harm) you might have some increased alge growth but that will go away depending on how much made it back.

like others said its just putting back what was already taken out only problem is it a higher concentration.