1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Skimmer Recommendation

Discussion in 'Lighting and Equipment' started by zombie, Apr 8, 2018.

1. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

So I have decided the Ice Cap K2-50 just isn't gonna cut it for my new 65 gallon with 26 gallon sump. I am looking to get a different one (preferably under $300) that will get me the most horsepower for my available footprint. My sump can accommodate up to a 8.25 × 10 in footprint though there is a lip 14" up that tightens those dimensions a half inch (shouldn't have an effect, but certain shaped could be limited by it).

A few I have found that will fit the footprint are a Skimz SN143, Bubble Magus curve 5 or 7, icecap K2-160, Reef Octopus S-130. The Bubble Magus is by far the cheapest option at only $220 for the curve 7 from Amazon.

2. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

I love my octopus 110int

3. zombie

What size tank and how heavily stocked? I'm worried that one won't cut it since I plan to be SPS dominant in this tank.

4. Robbiekrause33

Robbiekrause33 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Look at the eshopps line up the X-160 would be awesome I love my X-220

5. zombie

I looked at that one. Has a lot of bad reviews particularly because apparently the adjustment valve floats and falls out anytime sump water level raises a few inches. I turn my return off for feedings, so that's a dealbreaker.

6. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

About 50 maybe more gallons. I feed stupid heavy but run zeovit. It pulls a full cup every 3 weeks. And it’s set to the dry side.

7. Robbiekrause33

Robbiekrause33 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I’ve never had the adjustment fall out and I flooded my sump on purpose just to see. But I run my skimmer on a timer from 4:45-5:30 it shuts off I’ve never had an issue

8. zombie

I ended up getting the bubble Magnus curve 5. The reviews are that were exceptional and I found one on eBay that can show up in a few days for only $175 including shipping. From what I've seen a lot of people have great luck with that on a heavily stocked 120 gallon so it should be overkill for my 65.

If the pump ever fails, I can get a Sicce PSK-200, which fits exactly to make it an even better skimmer.