1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Smileys Place

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Smiley, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Smiley

Smiley Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

how the hell do i upload pics to this new site? when i use the upload image button and take a pic with the phone, its says its 100% but doesnt show up when i post..

2. Legonch

Legonch Emerald Reef Supply M.A.S.C Club Member Featured Sponsor

the size is probably to big. Try resizing it

3. Smiley

The fuge

15169389235851773801199.jpg

4. Smiley

The frag 1516938961485431267573.jpg

5. Smiley

The basement display stand 1516939021118474376062.jpg

6. Smiley

The crap 15169390668611344949126.jpg

7. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Upstairs display?

8. Smiley

upstairs display is still in progress....i still have some pieces to stain for the stand, and im still looking for a tank to fit it.. 72x24 footprint...

9. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

Looks like you're practically finished! LOL

10. Smiley

ok, so its been a while... system is stable at 9.6 alk, 420-425 calc, and 1300-1400 mag...runnin gfo, dosing 100ml day of the almighty 3, and only feed it when my favorite reefhead come over... maybe twice a week? i manage to do 35g wc once a month on average... my refugium is overgrown with coral. and frag tank is full.... about to start plumbing this 125 basement display into the mix.

so far i have a 125 refugium, a 75 sump, a 65 frag... and adding a 125 display so i can get all that coral out of my fuge... question i have is should i run biopellets or no? not sure what direction to go.... i love my tried and true, but ive heard plus's and minus's on biopellets... ive even ran them for a few years.... whats the latest consensus on the infamous biopellets? should i stay or should i go?

11. Smiley

20180403_211302.jpg

SynDen likes this.
  12. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod

I’ve not used bio pellets but I’ve got a 4” marine pure block in my sump. Its a similar purpose but less maintenance since it just sits there.

13. JZinCO

JZinCO Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I use biopellets. I can't remember what my nutrients were but I never have detectable nitrates in a skimmerless/filterless tank. I won't buy new ones though, I think dosing carbon is easier than the guessing work of pellets. Then again I haven't done much carbon dosing but that's the opinion that my reading has come up with
    Build looks great btw!

14. Fourthwind

Fourthwind Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

I would run a NO3 export brick from Brightwell instead of Marine pure. Work really well for me. If it doesn't work for you, than it was a cheap experiment compared to the size of biopellet reactor you would need for that much water.

15. whyamisofly

whyamisofly Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

Did Brightwell fix the crumbling issues? I hadn't seen anything recently about a fix, so I purchased the Marinepure.

16. JZinCO

JZinCO Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Yeah. they said it was a mfg issue and it is fixed, but you can't use NOPOX or it will react with the brick.

17. Fourthwind

Fourthwind Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

Have not had any issues with the crumbling.

The NO3 export bricks have a sulpher compound that in many ways acts like carbon dosing. If you raise the bacteria count artificially with products like NOPOX, you have a chance that the bacteria will grow beyond the food availability. Then you can have a bacteria crash. This being said I have not had to use carbon dosing. Be sure to follow their recommendations for quantity of brick / squares per gallons of water.

JZinCO likes this.
  18. Kayvon

Kayvon Copepod

I've used biopellets but never got it to work properly. They always left this gross residue on my skimmer. I switched to vinegar. I heard that it doesn't give the cyano problems that vodka does. Works perfectly so far and there's less to maintain

19. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

What’s your total water volume?

20. Smiley

im gonna guess to be right around 25 right now... adding the 125 display in the basement soon... still trying to find 3/4" vinyl tubing for the return.. HD had only 5ft sections.. i need 25ft..