Smileys Place

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
how the hell do i upload pics to this new site? when i use the upload image button and take a pic with the phone, its says its 100% but doesnt show up when i post..

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
upstairs display is still in progress....i still have some pieces to stain for the stand, and im still looking for a tank to fit it.. 72x24 footprint...

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok, so its been a while... system is stable at 9.6 alk, 420-425 calc, and 1300-1400 mag...runnin gfo, dosing 100ml day of the almighty 3, and only feed it when my favorite reefhead come over... maybe twice a week? i manage to do 35g wc once a month on average... my refugium is overgrown with coral. and frag tank is full.... about to start plumbing this 125 basement display into the mix.

so far i have a 125 refugium, a 75 sump, a 65 frag... and adding a 125 display so i can get all that coral out of my fuge... question i have is should i run biopellets or no? not sure what direction to go.... i love my tried and true, but ive heard plus's and minus's on biopellets... ive even ran them for a few years.... whats the latest consensus on the infamous biopellets? should i stay or should i go?

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I’ve not used bio pellets but I’ve got a 4” marine pure block in my sump. Its a similar purpose but less maintenance since it just sits there.

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use biopellets. I can't remember what my nutrients were but I never have detectable nitrates in a skimmerless/filterless tank. I won't buy new ones though, I think dosing carbon is easier than the guessing work of pellets. Then again I haven't done much carbon dosing but that's the opinion that my reading has come up with
Build looks great btw!

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would run a NO3 export brick from Brightwell instead of Marine pure. Work really well for me. If it doesn't work for you, than it was a cheap experiment compared to the size of biopellet reactor you would need for that much water.

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would run a NO3 export brick from Brightwell instead of Marine pure. Work really well for me. If it doesn't work for you, than it was a cheap experiment compared to the size of biopellet reactor you would need for that much water.
Did Brightwell fix the crumbling issues? I hadn't seen anything recently about a fix, so I purchased the Marinepure.

JZinCO

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah. they said it was a mfg issue and it is fixed, but you can't use NOPOX or it will react with the brick.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did Brightwell fix the crumbling issues? I hadn't seen anything recently about a fix, so I purchased the Marinepure.
Have not had any issues with the crumbling.

Yeah. they said it was a mfg issue and it is fixed, but you can't use NOPOX or it will react with the brick.
The NO3 export bricks have a sulpher compound that in many ways acts like carbon dosing. If you raise the bacteria count artificially with products like NOPOX, you have a chance that the bacteria will grow beyond the food availability. Then you can have a bacteria crash. This being said I have not had to use carbon dosing. Be sure to follow their recommendations for quantity of brick / squares per gallons of water.

I've used biopellets but never got it to work properly. They always left this gross residue on my skimmer. I switched to vinegar. I heard that it doesn't give the cyano problems that vodka does. Works perfectly so far and there's less to maintain

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
im gonna guess to be right around 25 right now... adding the 125 display in the basement soon... still trying to find 3/4" vinyl tubing for the return.. HD had only 5ft sections.. i need 25ft..