So had some extra $ in my pocket when I went to Elite Today...

mdrumm

Butterfly Fish
As it wrong to get excited about new salt?

Mixing it up now. Interesting small. Also, it immediately reacts and heats up when it hits the water (it actually splashed back and burned a little on my wrist! OUCH).

will let you know if I notice any differences. I am switching from IO.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good luck with the salt man! I was in Elite yesterday, CJ was trying to convince me to take the giant tang he has, awesome freaking fish!!

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
no not wrong at all to get excited ...i was pretty excited when i won the bucket at reefstock ....can say i took pics though ...lol
mdrumm;86829 said:
$89.99. But it makes 225 gallons at 1.026 salinity vs instant ocean which makes 200 gallons at 1.022 salinity.
did you ever do the math to see if it was worth it price wise?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
jon says it is ..i think there is a thread about it in his forum
something about the "chemicals" they use to keep the ph right if i recall correctly

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah there is a lot of reactive ingredients....It's supposed to mix really hot. I'll have to buy some one of these days just to check it out hehe.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just got some of that same salt. Question, does it have a different odor then other salts you have used?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;86846 said:
I just got some of that same salt. Question, does it have a different odor then other salts you have used?
you still can't snort it boogie ...lol

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the burn is from the amount of Mag in it?
I got a bucket the other day from Keys I am mixing it up for my change tomorrow, I am also switching from IO

Well see how it goes, if it takes the place of the amount of A and B that I am dosing on a daily basis then it will be worth the cost

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
It smells different for sure. The heat is from the calcium. Sucks to get splashed or drop something in there and you have to fish it out. IME, I still needed to dose just as much as when using IO.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Not sold on Salinity. I did frequent water changes, like Rocky didn't dose as much thinking that I wouldn't need to, wrong about that. Had a dirty hard crust form in my mixing container which is a pain in the *** to clean because it's a small mouthed container. The crust is finally breaking apart and falling into my new salt mix so I have to go drain my container and clean it out again.

I switched to IO after reading some stuff by Randy Holmes Farley and the other helpers in the chemistry forum on RC. It's what they use and dosed with 2 part, my coraline exploded and my growth is much, much better.

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
One of the biggest differences I saw wasn't so much on regular dosing, although PH seems much higher and more stable, but I don't have to dose like crazy on my newly mixed water to get the parameters to target levels.

Most other "Reef" salts I'd tried still took a lot of testing and adjustment before even using the water. They all either had high CA and low PH/Alk, or fair Alk levels and low CA. Very few had decent Magnesium levels.

Salinity on the other hand is pretty dead on for what I'm targeting parameter wise, with out much tinkering on my end, and also much more balanced.

The hard dirty crust is strange, I've only ever had a slight white dustiness on the first couple batches I mixed when using warm water. After switching to cold water for mixing, it's always nice and clear with no residue at all.

I'm two buckets in now on Salinity, and the corals have never looked better.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
WrasseAttack;86958 said:
Not sold on Salinity. I did frequent water changes, like Rocky didn't dose as much thinking that I wouldn't need to, wrong about that. Had a dirty hard crust form in my mixing container which is a pain in the *** to clean because it's a small mouthed container. The crust is finally breaking apart and falling into my new salt mix so I have to go drain my container and clean it out again.

I switched to IO after reading some stuff by Randy Holmes Farley and the other helpers in the chemistry forum on RC. It's what they use and dosed with 2 part, my coraline exploded and my growth is much, much better.
My mixing container is also encrusted with the white stuff also. Seems like everyone besides us is having a good experience

rockys_pride;87104 said:
My mixing container is also encrusted with the white stuff also. Seems like everyone besides us is having a good experience

I don't know, as I posted in my previous thread about salinity my milis bleached. A search on RC found some other people with SPS problems after changing over to Salinity. Might just be a coincidence. The thing that aggravated me most is the hard crust and brown toothpaste gunk all over my mixing container. People said it's normal but I've been doing water changes with different salts for 8 years and I've never experienced anything this bad. Don't like the salt but the bucket is awesome for my bags of IO!