Splitting the anemone

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So my two anemone's are getting massive. My red one is taking over the whole top shelf rock and his foot isn't even on the top. And my RBTA had moved down the aquascape so either its irritated or getting ready to split. Anyone have any idea on what's happening? Also anyone have experience on cutting anemones?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Firedawg56;662827 said:
[video=youtube;9HeNy9aWm6I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HeNy9aWm6I[/video]
I did watch that. Just maybe would like to see it done in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
A couple of years ago I was going to try to start an anemone propagation tank, I bought all of the stuff, but never got around to it. I have 2 rainbows that might be good candidates to cut. If you want to drive up to Loveland sometime we can give it a try on one of mine.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;662839 said:
A couple of years ago I was going to try to start an anemone propagation tank, I bought all of the stuff, but never got around to it. I have 2 rainbows that might be good candidates to cut. If you want to drive up to Loveland sometime we can give it a try on one of mine.
Might have to try that. Wife likes the idea of the propagation tank as well. Even said might have to keep the frag tank for that lol

dweeb

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
My RBTA finally split on it's own. Feeding a lot, and irritating it a bit with a plastic tube (just rubbing it's tentacles when it's not in a good spot) seemed to do it.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just need a sharp knife and a cutting board. Be sure and cut through the mouth. It is easy. If they are big and you don't get greedy, they will be fine... they can start to die when you cut tiny ones. Swish them in a bucket of tank water to clean them off a bit and get some of the slime off.

They will slime a bit more, so if you have to put then back in the display and your tank is small, you might want to run some GAC for a while.

Getting them off the rocks it the hardest part. I hang them upside down and use a fingernail and you will get them eventually.

oddly enough, my large RBTA split when the arm on my AI Prime tipped over and the light almost came from a 45 degree angle into the tank. I think it stressed it enough to split. I returned the light to its proper position and now I have 2 large anemones. I used to feed them, but I notice no difference between feeding vs non-feeding.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Irishman;n662822 said:
Also anyone have experience on cutting anemones?
So I cut one of mine yesterday, and everything looks great so far! As jda123 correctly pointed out the hardest part was getting the nem off the rock. I have 3 anemones now, where yesterday I had 2....I think I'd call that a success!

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;663771 said:
So I cut one of mine yesterday, and everything looks great so far! As jda123 correctly pointed out the hardest part was getting the nem off the rock. I have 3 anemones now, where yesterday I had 2....I think I'd call that a success!
Did you put them in your DT or have a separate tank ready for them?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Irishman;n663773 said:
Did you put them in your DT or have a separate tank ready for them?
These 2 anemones are in a 40b that is plumbed to my sump, so it is sort of a display tank....but since it is in my basement very few people actually see it. It is all connected together to my 150 upstairs though. No obvious signs of slime or chemical warfare going on. I do run Rowaphos and GAC in the sump, maybe that helped a bit. They weren't overly slimy that I noticed. A little, but not crazy amounts.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Firedawg56;n663774 said:
Congrats! Sometimes the hardest part is just building up the courage to try to do it that first time.
It is most definitely clearing that emotional hurdle of "Ok, I am going to take a razor blade and cut one of these beautiful anemones in half"

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jda123;n663994 said:
Don't get too greedy and cut them too often or they can die. Other than that, it is easy, right?
I believe I've read that I should wait 8 weeks between cuttings. I had 2 original rainbows in the 40b, now 4....so I wait.

What was amazing to me was I cut the anemone around 2pm and by 6pm I showed my wife....she couldn't even tell which ones were the originals and the cuts! They heal so quickly and come right back, it's amazing. Maybe around Valentines day I'll make some more cuts.

So Chris, you just get it to remove itself(with some coaxing obviously) and put it on a food cutting board and slice with a surgical knife? Then pour some iodine on the wound and put it back in your tank? Do I have it right? These two, well one is huge,the other an offspring of her. Thanks for the thread, thought it was Dead.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
timnem70;n664032 said:
So Chris, you just get it to remove itself(with some coaxing obviously) and put it on a food cutting board and slice with a surgical knife? Then pour some iodine on the wound and put it back in your tank? Do I have it right? These two, well one is huge,the other an offspring of her. Thanks for the thread, thought it was Dead.
My Anemones were on a rock that I removed and let the anemone I wanted to remove dangle upside down. Once it was hanging there for a minute or two it deflates and gets much smaller. Then with my fingernail I carefully work at the foot and it will start to release. Then I work my way around the edge of the foot. The rock that the 2 of them were on had a ton of holes and the feet were well into some of those crevices where I couldn't get. So I'd go to the other side and try that. Eventually I got it off. Patience and working slowly, the whole process took me about 45 minutes and my original anemones were only about 4 inches across. Then I took a razor blade and tried 1 gentle continuous cut. I didn't even bother with the iodine, I just put them right back in. Iodine couldn't hurt though. I also had gloves on and eye protection, just to be safe.

These were the blades I used, can get them at Home Depot. Nice because they are long enough to allows the single pass cut through the mouth of the anemone: