Stand/Cabinet Engineering/Support

sadams

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
All,

This is (probably) one of many pre-tank build questions. I'm working to finish our basement and at the point where I need to figure out my tank stand. In the past I had a 72 gallon bow front and supported it on some kitchen cabinets beefed up with some external supports. That turned out well and that is my direction for the new tank (210 gallon) but wanted to get feedback/thoughts on the engineering... I'm posting for feedback over on RC as well, just looking for either someone that has done this, or any input on if it will or will not work :)

So I'm finishing my basement and have a 210 ready to move in, all that is needed now is a stand for it (that and a bit more basement framing). To that end, we picked up some used custom cabinets for the basement project which I'd like to use for the tank as well. With that said, of course foremost in my mind is safety/stability, so this is what I've come up with for support of the beast and what I'm looking for are thoughts around stability/safety, etc...

I have approximately a 78" span/space, I plan to use two 31.5 inch cabinets with supports on each end, and one support in the middle. I plan to hold the tank out from the back wall approx. 2 inches (for shadowbox), and cabinets out from the wall approx. 6 inches (to allow for plumbing behind cabinets). Supports are to be a (sandwiched) LVL joists stacked (3 of them), sandwiched between 2x8s (see attachments).

My thought (not necessarily a good one but...) is the LVL joists stacked "should/would" support the weight, while the 2x8's will contribute to support, as well as add a larger footprint/give more lateral support. In addition, for further lateral support, I was planning to set these supports (in between them) in place, by attaching 3/4 inch plywood to the studs behind the cabinets, in between the "supports." (again, might be clearer with the attachments).

Countertop is planned to be 3/4 ply with a 1/2 mud bed for Durrock, with another.. 1/2 bed of mud for Granite Tile. Between counter and Fishtank, plan to have some ~1 inch foam of some sort for added pressure relief.

So thoughts about the support system?

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
You might consider something other than granite tile. It's hard to get perfectly level and I'd be worried about water seeping through the grout to the plywood eventually. Quartz or if you want to go cheaper Corian might hold up better long term. As long as you protect the cabinet wood from water, you should be good.

sadams

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the replies, based on feedback and a little more research, I believe (as detailed) this is the direction I'll be going for supporting this thing. I did a bit more research and am finding that the glulam/lvl beams can support somewhere around (just one of them) 1400 lbs on a 3 foot span (3 feet in between supporting columns), and as I have no span (just solid lvl), and I'm spreading this across 3 of these (lvl/2x8) supports, I don't believe these supports will buckle under my ~2000 lb load. As to the countertop, still up for review, leaning toward the granite (as I've set a few of these countertops in the past) and was leaning toward epoxy grout for joints but will be doing some more research in the coming month. I'll get a tank build going one of these days, just slow going due to size of project (the basement) and limited time. Thanks again for feedback!