1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Started a small brine shrimp tank

Discussion in 'Inverts and other Marine Animals' started by Cherub, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

I decided to start feeding live brine. I spend so much on frozen food and this will offset the cost, hopefully... 8 dollars for 100 batches of brine is the claim lol.

I bought a 5 gallon tank at petsmart that came with a hood with light, thermometer and a hang on back filter for 30 bucks. I added a small heater I already had too. Then I bought the hatchery for 35 with eggs and bought some spirulina from BRS to fatten the shrimp up with and give the food some nutrients. So 60-70 dollar investment to get it going but perpetual food is the idea.

Has anyone tried doing something like this? Any tips?

IMG_20200911_194831.jpg

ianryd likes this.
  2. ianryd

ianryd Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I bought sea monkeys out of the back of a comic book when I was a kid one time....this looks legit though!

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

Cherub likes this.
  3. Cherub

lol I did the sea monkey thing too as a kid. It made me nauseous when they died lol

4. ianryd

ianryd Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I know! I was so bummed out they only lived like a week or so haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

Cherub likes this.
  5. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

That harvester works really well from what I have seen. I havent cultured brine continuously but have hatched a number of them over the year. Been wanting to try that hatchery.
    You could also culture your own spirulina if you really wanting to cut down on food costs.

6. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

I am interested to see how this works. I would love to feed more for sure.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

7. Cherub

It's pretty cool so far. Well there's a thousand little dots floating around right now in it. The hang on back filter was kind of just sucking them up so I cant run it until they get bigger. I added an airstone and they seem happy. It's just the first 24 hours with live brine. That hatchery s still producing shrimp too. I used one scoop, per the instructions but that seems excessive. We'll see how many survive to large enough to eat. the size they are now are probably really nice for corals

8. Cherub

Here's a pic of the babies
    IMG_20200913_205439.jpg

SynDen and TheRealChrisBrown like this.