Starting pod culture

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am considering starting a large pod culture so I can generate enough pods to house a mandarin in my 29 biocube.

Anybody on here experienced in POD cultures want to look over my plan?

I plan on getting 4-6 BPA free 2-3 gallon beverage dispensers, half for phyto, and half for copepods. Each one will have a piece of rigid airline tubing to direct bubbles at a rate of 200ish bubbles per second in the phyto culture and 1-2 bubbles per second in the copepod cultures. The phyto cultures will be lit with an overhead 2 bulb, 24" t5 fixture with 6500k lights. The copepod culture will be lit indirectly with a clip on 60W equivalent warm white led. Every other day I intend to remove 100ml of copepod water from each container, strain through a brine shrimp net and add to the tank. The 100ml taken from the copepod cultures will be replaced with 100ml of phyto water, the phyto water will not be replenished until it is half empty during which I would add fertilizer and NSW to top the culture off.

Couple questions for the experts.

1. Should I go with nanochloripsys or is another strain better?

2. Are tisbe the way to go for the copepods or is there a better variety to use (my main tank is mostly amphipods and isopods, with lots of what appears to be rotifers in the water column)

3. Are there any places locally to procure the pods and phyto cultures or should I go with Algeagen for the pods and Florida Aqua Farms for the phyto cultures?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Not an expert here...

I grew the Nano, Tetra, and ISO and dosed that in my last tank. I always looked for the "motile" microalgeas if possible because I found that I had a hard time keeping the algae in suspension with just a bubbler. If the algae naturally wants to stay in the water column, there's less chance of suffocation. Ordered from FAF but I will check out Algea Barn locally when I get ready to start that again. I don't know if they carry the goods you're looking for. I personally like the diversity of multiple algeas but that might not be necessary to grow healthy pods?

You might have a different experience with keeping the algae in suspension but my experience was if the culture settled at all, it would perish and have a cascade effect on the entire batch. I would have to start over.

I will be looking at building my own culture containers this time around with a better bubbler straight into the bottom with a sloped base so things can't settle out as easily. Or, using Erlenmeyer flasks and magnetic stirrers (OTS or DIY depending on how motivated I am).

Keep us posted on the process and what you go with. I love the mad scientist look of phyto cultures and I curious to see your progress.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I will likely use AlgaeBarn as my source when I start mine in the near future. Ambrosio Aquatics carries live cultures from them too ;)