Step one to legally collecting fish when I am Hawaii... check

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
This is awesome! How long did it take to get it? We have a family vaca coming up in a few weeks and will be there in early September. Would be sweet to try to collect a couple of fish.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Only took a week and was free but soem caution make sure you are prepared to get them home, there are several steps involved and that is the stage were it is easiest to make a mistake.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you're on Oahu make sure to stop by sharks cove on the north Shore, that's prob your beat bet to catch some, you could try electric beach on the west side also.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I will be in Kauai, should be interesting, my second collecting trip after the one I made to Florida a few years back. Just think a couple Dragon Eels, Masked Angels or Bandit angels could pay for the whole trip. Not that any of those are remotely likely.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you hooked up with a local guide or collector? or are you going solo?

Anything is possible.

Following along to see pics!

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Snorkeling for collecting in super shallow water and near inshore rocks, can collect most fish and crustaceans as well as starfish and the like, nothing that is hard and attached to the bottom. Will need to finish collecting 2 days before I return home to allow the animals to purge to avoid ammonia buildup and then either check or carry on on the plane, both are options now though checking is easier. Can only colect 5 organisms per day though if I bring any back it will be much less than that.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If I remember correctly the only corals you can collect there are zoas, sps are strictly prohibited.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Yep that is correct and I won't even bother with corals, too much hassel.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
FinsUp!;357125 said:
Have you hooked up with a local guide or collector? or are you going solo?

Anything is possible.

Following along to see pics!
Any way to do this near you? Would love to get a clean up crew.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;357151 said:
Any way to do this near you? Would love to get a clean up crew.
From what we have heard down here, this is a royal pain. The Mexican government has no problem with people taking dead fish home, but god forbid you try to take living ones home (esp from the Sea of Cortez). Not sure what the policy is for CUC.

jgonzz

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Be careful putting them on a plane.

I have traveled all over woth corals and fish.
Been more than 1 occasion they would not let me on the plane with especially the fish. What sucks is it heavily falls on the person at the counter and xray. Once we were set to board and they called our names and told us we can't fly woth the fish. Had to get another flight the next day and aircargo the fish home.

Last edited by a moderator:

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Ya that is the one thing I am still trying to figure out. I am leaning towards just aircargoing them home from the start. Going to get in touch with some of my Hawaiin collector friends and see hwo they ussually do it and of course I have to actually catch something worthwhile as well. Good news though is that Bandit Angels are much more common at shallow depths in Kauai, just no one really collects there anymore which is the main reason they have risen in price from around $100 in the 80s to $900 now.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Well in yge canal next to my place, lots of convict tangs (cant keep), tailring tangs, moorish idols, and goatfish. Havent actually been in tge water yet though

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;362819 said:
Well in yge canal next to my place, lots of convict tangs (cant keep), tailring tangs, moorish idols, and goatfish. Havent actually been in tge water yet though
Why no convict tangs? I've never looked into their personality, but I hardly ever see them kept. On of my favorite tangs.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
They are reserved for the native population in Hawaii all we seen in the trade are from somewhere else. THey are actually super passive for tangs. Saw a butterfly this afternoon, racoon I think but couldnt be sure.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;362852 said:
They are reserved for the native population in Hawaii all we seen in the trade are from somewhere else. THey are actually super passive for tangs. Saw a butterfly this afternoon, racoon I think but couldnt be sure.
Oh awesome. Forgot Hawaii has a pretty slim whitelist. Also, have fun!

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Well finally went out tonight, never did see anything during the day worth a box to ship home, though I did find some Zoanthids I will bring home damp in a baggy and will grab a few Nerites tomorrow as well (also bringing home damp). As for tonight I caught 4 moorish idols, 2 Convict Tangs, 1 Sergeant Major, and 3 Squirrelfish in about 45 minutes, released all but the smallest moorish idol which I will try to carry on tomorrow, hope I get lucky. A bunch of the locals where out catching them as well, for bait. Cool thing about it is that it is just past post larval stage and already around 3-4 inches, which is normal for them and a large part of the reason they are distributed almost globally except the Atlantic. Assuming all goes well getting it home hopefully that will make it easier to adapt to prepared foods as well.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll195/scchase7/Mobile Uploads/20151018_221243_zpssaahztsh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: